Screamer pipe?

scud

Fresh Recruit
I am just wondering, has anyone on here got a screamer pipe and would it benefit my car if i was to fit one? :flame:

scud

Fresh Recruit
awh rite, that's what i was thinking, weather they are performance enhancing or just purely for the sound. Another quick question, at the minute i have a standard manifold that has been bored out etc, would i be better off going for a s/s or just as good with the one i have on? Cheers!

fred

Member +
They allow the waste gate to vent to atmosphere, which sometimes can help reduce boost creep on high power turbo cars.

Couple of points though:

They are soooooo loud

Plod will hear you coming a mile off and they are highly illegal to have fitted to your car.

Jay

Admin
Yeah, not only will the PSNI be giving you hassle, the MOT boys will have questions as well. A screamer pipe is classed as an exhaust 'leak' in most cases.

I think a little creative thinking will be required to get my 1990 GT through the MOT when it's time..

GT_Neil

Member +
they sound so cool i think, my friend has one on his glanza.

but i did'nt know they were illegal.

and as for m.o.t it wont pass with a decat pipe anyway lol, so might aswell.

GT Tercel

Fresh Recruit

Driving a car without a cat is illegal period, screamer or no screamer...lol :p

Jay

Admin
Driving a car without a cat is illegal period, screamer or no screamer...lol :p

Not strictly true mate, it just depends on which country you are in.

Pre-1992 cars in the UK don't require them. I'm sure a search of Scottishcruiser's threads on the subject will clear it up for the Mainland UK owners.

crazy glanza

Member +
hey guys i got one my self. it sounds pretty loud but i love it. i m running a standard turbo with 15psi and when boost it s starting to get up it start to make the called scream...it s true they can hear you from a mile away

Kelly

Member +
Bens has a screamer pipe and when we took our cars to the MOT station to some dude we dont know it passed no probs. ]
Im going have to have one put on mine as i need to vent the gasses with the external wastegate etc anyone know where you can buy them?

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
if it's a decent separated screamer then you shouldn't hear it at all on idle as the wastegate is shut, although on a ct9 they will always blow to some extent due to the design of the exhaust housing.

tom_hunt

Member +

My Glanza passes mot piss easy with a decat pipe :)