Serious Issues!! Help!!!

gotboost?

Fresh Recruit
Ok, here goes:

I have recently brought the Charade home with the 4E-FTE fully bolted up.
Now comes the wiring...
Basically, I've connected everything that needs connecting and I've checked it against the wiring diagram.
But it won't start! It cranks over and the injectors have power. However, there is no power being sent from the ECU to the Distributor or Ignitor...
Therefore, I have no spark.
Is there something that I may have missed?

I really need to get this sorted in the next two days because the old girl is going crazy about the car sitting in the garage for so long.

gotboost?

Fresh Recruit
The ECU came out of an EP82 Starlet halfcut, along with the engine, gearbox and loom. So yes, it's a Starlet one.

Phil

Super Moderator
Someone will be able to shed more light but i think people have had trouble in the past just by not earthing the hole shabang properly.

will try and hunt out the thread if i can.

Phil

Jay

Admin
Is the igniter and coil bolted to anything or just lying loose? It needs bolted securely to the bulkhead to make an earth.

gotboost?

Fresh Recruit
The igniter and coil are bolted to the chassis and I've ensured that there is a solid earth connection.

Last edited:

Phil

Super Moderator
emm cant cant the particular thread i was thinkin of,

but if you search for "wont start" you'll get a host of options laid out by people in the threads that may help :)

Phil

Sagittarius

Member +
try what happens if you connect the black-red wire from the coil directly to the positive connector of your battery. if it still does not start, your circuit opening relays is most likely the issue.

weeJohn

Lifer
You need power going out to the coilpack from the ecu on IGT to get spark.

Do a diagnostic check to see if a fault code comes up, there is lots of factors here mate that might cause this, you need to narrow it down a bit.

gotboost?

Fresh Recruit
I don't have one of those diagnostic units that plug into the port though. I've checked whether there's power going to the coil by using a mutli-meter and there is nothing.