smokin!!!!

VIDEO ADDED!!!

hey,

need some help here. my car is becoming very smokey on idle, its quite white with a slight blue tinge, i was at a meet today and ppl were saying it would be the turbo seals! how can i find out for sure??

it is a complete blow after just getting clutch done and service and now somethin else lol!!!

cheers all!

lee

Last edited:

Dan3SGTE

Member +
when your revving does the smoke go away, then back on idle smoke again? If so i would say turbo, mine does the same thing... But it isnt white, its blue......

White smoke normally indicates head gasket....

Stulet-GTT

Member +
it is a complete blow after just getting clutch done and service and now somethin else lol!!!
Its alway's the way...

Mine smoke's a little now and then on idle but really only when its warmed up...

Friend has said it could just be turbo seal's, so when i get a chance im gonna get it off and replace with new seal's...

Dan3SGTE

Member +
changing seals are costly and the process is quite a skilled task......

Better off getting new turbo....

Rory

Lifer
I would change the PCV valve 1st.
Cheap and easier to do than, ripping the turbo off to replace the seals.

These are known for letting the car "smoke" on idle when there goosed.

Rory

Lifer
I would change the PCV valve 1st.QUOTE]

What is PCV?????

The PCV valve is located on the cam cover, underneather the standard Top mount intercooler. It conects to the inlet manifold, via a pipe.

As far as im aware, its a "positive crankcase ventalation" (PCV) valve that works when there is a preasure behind it, ie only works in one way.

Dont take my word as being 100%, but thats how i see it.
Mabey someone with more experiance will clear it up better.

gtt224 - Disconect the PCV, but remember to block off the inlet manifold, or the engine revs will rise. Just put your finger over the nipple on the inlet manifold.
If it stops smoking then, you know the PCV will need changed.
If it still smokes then you have ruled out that its not that.

Bearing in mind i go for the cheaper options first, before i jump into the deep end. I see alot of people on here jumping into the deep end, before thinking things through.

Last edited:

dan_ep82

Member +
the pcv valve opens under vacume and shuts under boost, if its stuck shut under idle that will cause smoking, so putting your finger over it wont tell much,

i always test mine by pulling the pipe off the inlet mani and just suck and blow through it to check its opening and closing correctly :)

(just dont suck to hard or you might get an oily mouth lol)

hope this helps

dan

ramses974

Member +
i already have this problem

it was a blown headgasket that permits water to go to the exhaust and valve stems seals defect ...
:cops:

what makes u say that???

and its strange as i have only really noticed it sine the service,
i changed the spark plugs to grade 8, would that make a diff??

and u say block the inlet? what with preferably?
and im removin the tmic so what do i do with the two pipes from that?

cheers for this its stressin me out lol

Rory

Lifer
Whip the TMIc off, it will still start without it.

When you take the pipe from the inlet manifold, have a mate start the car, while you hold your finger over it, or block it with a bit of pipe and bolt.

Get your mate to check for smoke out the exhaust.