So, just what is happening with all the unsold cars?

Texx

Super Moderator
Honda have filled most of Avonmouth and portbury docks with their UK spec cars. The UK storage center at the bottom of Avonmouth is close to full capacity as well as VL's storage overflow at HUM in Swindon. The export overflow at HUM is nearly full and 10,000 export Honda's are parked in Southampton docks as there is no space at the terminals in europe to store anymore cars. Hence why HUM have shutdown production for 4 months as they've pretty well much ran out of space and options for storing more cars.

Depreciation of used cars has gone through the roof, especially Civic which is seeing close to a 45% depreciation after the first 12 months. This in turn has slowed new car sales as buyers haven't got enough part ex value in their cars to be able to trade them in and take on more finance. More often than not, they are seeing their current cars value drop below the amount of their outstanding finance.

This has had a knock on affect and today we have seen our first redundancies. It's not nice to see the people you have worked with for several years (some I would describe as rather good friends) tossed out on the street with not much hope of future employment in this current economic state we've found ourselves in.

Luckily so far my job appears to be safe, but no one is indispensable. :(

Jay

Admin
It's not the fields of cars that worries me, it's the domino effect on everything else that's the scary bit. Looking bleak in the motor trade, maybe time I got out!

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Mini's seem to be doing well, 234,000 cars made last year and this year we are planning only a slight decrease.

Johnny_C

Lifer
It's not the fields of cars that worries me, it's the domino effect on everything else that's the scary bit. Looking bleak in the motor trade, maybe time I got out!
its the same everywhere jay,once the constuction industry took the tumble,everything falls after.:(

And from what i hear from work (2nd hand car remarketers) weve hit record profits.. the 2nd hand car market has just rocketed in the last month!

Toyota does'nt seem to bad from those pics.

redN31.jpg

All joking aside things are looking dismal. Fiat seem to be doing well though there trying to get a share in Chrysler at the moment I think there aiming to introduce their multi-jet diesel to the states.