some plugs that dont go anywhere? or do they?

BFannon

Member +
right i have got my car back from my mate who has swapped engines over (my 98 spev V engine into a 95 quad light shell! using the old 95 loom!) and i have these plugs spare! i have also had the air con removed! but am little lost to where all these plugs go/should have gone!

first plug! i think go to the thermostat housing. but want to double check!
there is a green plug and a little slide on plug looks like a earth lead type thing!
DSCF3003.jpg

think this is something to do with air con do i have to bridge two pins together or something? i asked my mate for the old air con stuff and he has thrown the old stuff in the scrappy :mad: .
DSCF3002.jpg

these three i have absolutly no clue! they were all roughly around the gearbox sitting ontop of the bottom rad hose. (as it enters the block!)
DSCF3004.jpg

these two plugs are the same i think they are air con but want to double check as they dont look like they actually click into anything!
DSCF3005.jpg

and finally lol i found these to the left hand side of the head! i think someone told me one was hi/lo boost button and other was something to do with charcoal filter?
DSCF3006.jpg

a massive thank you to anyone who can help. as these are only thing worrying me before i put car in for MOT! well apart from fixing down the front break hoses but i can sort that!

many thanks

Bill.

Rory

Lifer
1st pic - Thats for the coolant temp sensor, located on the thermostat housing
2nd pic - Thats the plug where you would put the aircon sensor that controls the rad fan. It will be screwed into the hardlines somewhere that you took out, plug it back in.
3rd pic - They all go to the thermostat housing aswell, can only go one place really apart from the 2 spade ones, but you will know if you have them the wrong way round.
4th pic - Yep air con stuff, no aircon so tie them up or cut them off.
5th pic - Boost solenoid, presuming you dont run a CT9? if not can either cut em off or tuck them away.

BFannon

Member +
so just to clarify i should have two plugs and three spade plugs going to the thermostat housing?

my mate who swapped the engines over took the aircon out and has scrapped all the pipes like a numpty! cant i bridge some of the pins out till i get a new plug? (2nd pic!)

and yea am still running a CT9 but have got rid of the hi/lo boost solenoid so i dont need either plug in the 5th pic?

many thanks

Bill.

Rory

Lifer
2 plugs and 2 spades (off the top of my head) to the thermostat

Aye im sure you can, unsure which ones though.

If you dont have it, you wont need the plugs.

If you do cut any of the plugs off, be smart and keep a hold of them, just incase something crops up.

Fudder

Fresh Recruit
hi i just done oppisite to you 95 engine to a 99 car and loom .. did u swap over the thermo housing from ur 95 engine they differ from years im pretty sure different plugs etc . could be wrong but worth a look at

BFannon

Member +
no the 95 didnt come with an engine! so i dont have the old thermostat housing! i have been told i need the old water temperature sendor is that right?

on my loom i have 2 plugs and three spade bits that arnt plugged in yet! the socket on the water sender i have on the engine at the moment (98spec engine) is a grey triangular three pin socket but i only have a two pin green square plug and a spade!

what do all the plugs on the thermostat housing do as i have removed aircon and hi/lo boost solenoid! dont know if this effects it?

many thanks

Bill.

BFannon

Member +
right little update now have installed a 95spec water temperatur sensor into the thermostat housing! but it only takes up two of the wires! there is still a flat spade type plug on it! is this just an earth as i installed the sensor and pluged it in ran the car for approx 2 mins and looked like it hadn't moved! does the sensor require an earth/ground to work?

many thanks

Bill.

BFannon

Member +
anyone please lol parents getting sick of car on garden now lol!

i have now managed to bridge the fan so its stopped working but the car is struggling to idle!

and also i have black smoke! when giving little revs! anything to worry about?

many thanks

Bill.

BFannon

Member +
i have now earthed the spade plug that is with the coolant temperature sensor plug and when i put the key into the "ON" position the gauge goes right up past the red is there something i should change/check before i start it up as all i have done different is earthed that little spade plug down!

thanks

Bill.

BFannon

Member +
anyone? prob still stands the with the key in the "on" position the temp gauge still goes to the maximum. to make it abit easier on the eye basically to cut all the other posts out i have installed a 95spec coolant temperature sensor onto a 98spec engine becuase i am using a 95 spec engine wiring loom. the plug now fits but there is nothing that the flat spade bit that is with the coolant temperatures sensor plug will fit to! the main plug fits on perfect but there isnt anywhere to put the spade bit! i have made a temporary earth via a bolt to the tmic frame work and the temp gauge in now goes right up to the maximum every time i turn the key to the "on" position. because the gauge has gone up as far as it can i now have a little light on my dash to say that the car is overheating! but when i start the car the little light goes out car runs but it struggles! (when coming off the throttle!) it struggles to idle almost stalling! (but i think that is another problem!) but the gauge still remains at full!

anyone help? as really want to get this on the road.

many thanks

Bill.

BFannon

Member +
yea will get some pics when i get home from work tonight about 7.30 ish! hope that will help! dont know if i can do it but what about if i try plumbing an oil temp gauge into the thermostat housing and running the car that way as i want to see if the fan is kicking in at the appropriate temp aswell! what temp should the fan kick in and cool the coolant down?

Bill.

corofin12345

Member +
all thermostat housings are interchangeable... its just a mater of finding the right one for your loom.. twill save the headache of wiring new connectors.. ya get a pic up later and we will have a look anyway

BFannon

Member +
DSCF3007.jpg

DSCF3008.jpg

DSCF3009.jpg

and these are all the plugs that are in and around that area that arn't plugged in at the mo. cant find what or where they go? apart from the green one which plugs into the sensor but when i earth that spade down to earth the temp gauge goes right up to maximum even when engine isn't ticking over just with key in "on" position.
DSCF3010.jpg

please help me lol!

Bill.

BFannon

Member +
shoot whats the difference then? its just i need to put it in a mot will the car pass the mot if the temp gauge doesn't work or is stuck on full? what about the fan running constant? will it fail because the fan will be on at all times? or where can i get one pretty fast? many thanks

Bill.