something jamming drivetrain???

steo800

Member +
hey.

done a trackday last thursday and something got shagged!!!

gonna start taking it apart tomorrow but just wanna get an idea of what could be broken...

car was rattling all the way home and when 3rd was engaged and clutch released, it made some funky grinding noises.

on the way out from track, it was stuttering and knocking even with the clutch down to the floor.

went out today to move it around a bit.

when the car is in neutral, and i push the car, it was jamming randomly, as if someone hit the brakes.so i got it to jam and kept it like that and was able to engage all gears.but when i went to drive forward, it stalled the engine.

im guessing a cv joint is in bits and one of these bits is stopping the roatation of the wheels?

when its stutters, the whole car just looks like it bounced of something and is sent backwards, and the whole engine moves also.

i did drive the car home though which is about 20 miles:p

Turbodave666

Fresh Recruit
Sounds like the diff is moving in the box locking it, if one cv was broken you could still spin one wheel. Hope this helps.
David

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
yeah i was thinking the same, either a shagged diff or possibly a selector.. but i doubt it.. it could also be the clutch, but since its changing gears then well id pretty much go with a diff problem...

sx_turbo

Lifer
defo the differential inside the gearbox.

had one go on my works van, and it done exactly the same thing.

unfortunately mate your looking at a gearbox rebuild.

try not to drive it, as you could do much more damage.

steo800

Member +
its the factory viscous diff, not up to speed on the effects it could have when stuffed.

not to worried about it being expensive as ive wanted the factory non lsd box for a good while-have a trd diff to go in.now i have to pull the finger out and get one.

clutch is orc so it better not be that, expensive little bollox!!

sx_turbo

Lifer
its the factory viscous diff, not up to speed on the effects it could have when stuffed.

worst case scenario, is when going round a corner the wheels will lock, and you crash. oh and possibly do more damage internally on the gear box, and possibly strip the splines off the inner cv joints.

steo800

Member +
should have said symptoms rather than effects.

have experienced the wheels locking, but only at less than walking pace

sx_turbo

Lifer
that will get worse.

sometimes the diff will really wine, like a wheel bearing.

and sometimes the wheels will just lock, but both wont lock, one side locks, then lets go, and the other side will lock, its hard to describe.

steo800

Member +
sounds like its coming from the diff alrite.

jacked it up and turned wheels and sounds are defo coming from diff.

didnt check if both wheels lock or not, but one shaft is out so i wont be checkin either.

on another note, anyone know what kinda grease is needed for inner and outter cv joint?i only replaced boots last year on one side so no need to buy more, yes they are cheap, but box will be out again in a few months, so will replace all then

steo800

Member +
cv joint grease.

im being serious lol thats what its called. i think the other name for it is lithium molly

haha

i got my last cv boot kit from toyota, and the inner and outter had different grease.

ill try a google if no one can confirm the correct tecy name for the grease e.g. lithium molly....

as for my gearbox....

the jamming happens randomly at low speeds, happens in first(maybe with some clutch, cant remember) and neutral

steo800

Member +
its probably the diff, and the third gear grinding is another problem

broke two parts of the gearbox in one corner, go me!!