Spark plug seals gone?

Yeti

Member +
Hi all,

Recently, I noticed some oil on my rocker cover. I wiped it off and checked where it re-occured again, seems like its coming out from the spark plugs? I had a quick search on here and it seems the seals could have gone?

Do you think this is feasible? If so, where can I get new seals from? (I checked camskill and couldnt find them)

Is it easy to DIY and replace them?

Oil has gone down abit, seem to be boosting fine with no power loss. Which is why I'm thinking its the above problem seal problem.

Cheers,
Yeti

EDIT: I just found Jays amazing post on how to replace the seals http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums...spark-plug-chamber-seals&highlight=spark+plug

Incase this is my problem, is Toyota the only place to buy them?

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
as above. buy a cheap headgasket set. or go to toyota and buy the seals seperately. they are approx £10 each so if you change them all you are looking at a similar price as buying the whole set.

Yeti

Member +
Got the head gasket set, just want to confirm, am I ok using the rocker gasket from this set or do a need a 4EFTE specific rocker gasket? I assume they are the same, but wanted to make sure.

Also the washers under the rocker cover nuts are metal with rubber underneath them, where can I get these from? I saw a thread someone using the more conventional washers, are these ok to use as well? Or prone to leaking?

cheers.

Yeti

Member +
Ok, just got the rocker cover off, and cant get the seals in :( I've tried everything.

Looking at the OEM seal and the seals I got in the kit, they are very very slightly different size, prob 1mm in diameter difference. Which I think is stopping me getting this in. I also tried putting a socketset and mallet to it, but it just wouldn't go in.

Anyone else actually used the seals from this kit? Any advice to getting the damn things in? :D

Jay

Admin
While the genuine ones are difficult to fit, expect the non-genuine ones to be an utter bollox. This is where genuine Toyota parts come into their own. Be very careful not to damage the seal with the mallet, you need to press them in completely flat and equal otherwise you'll run into problems. I found if you do have to bring out the mallet using one of the old seals to protect the new one seems to work.

Jay

Yeti

Member +
Jay, cheers for your wisdom bud. Yeah I'm finding these a right pain in the a$$ to get in lol, infact 3 hours in and i've not managed to get 1 in :( lol

Will try the old seal on top of the new one and giving it a good whack :D