spark plugs

basketash

Member +
?

standard plugs the pure reason why is because thats what the books says i dnt believe in iridium iv used both anf found the with the standard pluggs the idle is mint

Nwimie

Member +
standard plugs the pure reason why is because thats what the books says i dnt believe in iridium iv used both anf found the with the standard pluggs the idle is mint

really depends on the spec of your motor as standard plugs wont be good enough for high boost - higher temps.

I would use iridiums most people on here use them. heat range 8 toby + dave both sell them.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Yeah it's pretty common D depends how much you fine tune plug gaps.

Taken from the NGK website:

Iridium - please be careful not to place any stress on the fine center electrode during adjustment. You could accidentally break off the very hard, and therefore brittle, tip.

Suprised you haven't broken any I have loads but better to have the gaps 100% spot on than fit and forget..

T

sx_turbo

Lifer
ok there seems to be some sort of misconseption.

when running stock boost, ngk- bkr7eix will be fine and have no problems at all, and are actually cheaper than the proper platinum tipped plugs that are meant to be fitted oe.

these will also withstand 1bar of boost on stock turbo and hybrid turbo.

if going for TD04 and k24 for between 1 + 1.2bar use bkr8eix.

if going for anything else above td04 and k24, i recomend using bcpr8es or NGK RACING plugs R7435-9.

the problem with iridiums in high boost applications is that the spark can get blown out very easily, which is why copper plugs get used.

problem with copper plugs is that they dont last as long as iridiums, and if racing can burn out quickly.

the NGK RACING plugs will fit in nicely here, they are iridium tipped, but the tip is set much further into the plug, so it is shielded from the high boost blowing out the spark.

these plugs tend to get used in high power cosworths and racing cosworths, and if there good enough for them there good enough for my starbo lol.

problem with the racing plugs are is that they are £22 each

hope thats helped some people

Last edited:

Toby@ToyTuning.com

The guy only has a stock engine :p

Iridiums be fine Chris grade 6-7, when you start running 2.0 bar on GT28's then iridiums can be a pain as the gap needs to be a spot on so people in these realms can consider something other than iridium due to the brittle ends which are hard to perfect. Ricky when they blow out you need to adjust them which is why people use others as the iridiums break ;)

9/10 times though Irids be fine for most :)

T

ryan_v

Lifer
whats the ngk code for stock plugs?

dont see why ud be touching the central electrode when gapping toby? it would only break... lol

sx_turbo

Lifer
The guy only has a stock engine :p

Ricky when they blow out you need to adjust them which is why people use others as the iridiums break ;)

9/10 times though Irids be fine for most :)

T

as i said TOBY he has a stock engine, and the iridiums are actually CHEAPER yes i said CHEAPER as in half the price of stock plugs, so the guy is better off putting in the iridiums, because they are CHEAPER.

and you are infact wrong, the normal iridium plugs the bkr*eix the spark gets blown out regardless of gap because the tip is so small, which is why ngk produced the racing plugs.

if you gap the plugs to close to the tip, the spark you get will not be strong enough.

and as you said iridiums will be fine for most, which is also what i said i beleive

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
2977.jpg

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Living the dream eh mont!

As I said go for the iridium's they will be fine on your engine and 99.9% out there:

http://www.toytuning.com/onlineshop/ignition/ngkiridiumsparkplugsx4

When running huge turbos and huge boost pressure it's really important to have the smallest gap to ensure the cleanest and most efficient spark when under pressure, this is why plugs blow out. This is why people need to adjust the gaps and is why people don't favour iridium's as the tips are brittle which mean they can break that's pretty common knowledge, I did actually say this but it was taken out of context.

Again the above only applies to those running huge boost pressures so if that's not you then don't worry about the plugs just go for the iridiums which are tried and tested.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

When did I recommend buying a more expensive plug Ricky? I said buy the iridiums buddy, I didn't ever recommend getting stock plugs?

Read my post, I actually said consider a platinum tipped plug when running extreme boost pressures not when running a stock engine. I think you didn't read it properly and thought I recommend more expensive plugs? The link provided was for the cheaper plugs we don't even sell platinum plugs!

T

Have a look here buddy:

http://www.toytuning.com/onlineshop/ignition

When going for crazy power consider platinum tipped as you will need to alter the plug gap and iridium ends are brittle which means they snap when adjusting :)

T

Last edited:

ChrisGT

Member +
Living the dream eh mont!

You knows it! Well actually I only have these platinum bad boys because when my car was on the dyno my NGK Iridium plugs lost their spark. So the bloke had some Platinum's that we used to finish setting up the car.