Speeding Fine + Points

stuart

Member +
Guys, I got caught today on motorway doing 91, silly I know. He said I got 3 points and £60 fine, and gotta take both parts of license to police station in 7 days, fair enough. Couple of my mates are saying I should have got more points and bigger fine? I signed the yellow form thingy in the T5 with him then off I went on my way, also he has spelt my name wrong on the actual form...? But I've already signed it..??

Dane_Bristol

Member +
They would have taken your reg mate so your name being mis spelt is not going to change anything.

If it was 100 mph it would have been a bit more serious. Would of thought you would have got at least 6 points as 91 is alot higher than the national speed.

But your luck you got 3 points mate.

bigdoods

Member +
your sorted.my friend got done like that and the garda wrote down his wrong address and he was supposed to be brought to court and the whole thing was considered void because of the address.all charges were dropped.contact your solicitor about it.it could be a good idea to appeal it and all charges may get dropped.dont hold me to that but fingers crossed:)

Dan3SGTE

Member +
the name spelt incorrectly wont effect anything, ive had the same thing.......

You shouldnt have got more points unless you were over 100MPH, even then not always...

You were only 21mph over speed limit.....

stuart

Member +
Not worried about trying to get out of it, I was speeding so I'm due the points and fine, just couple of mates have said I should have got 6 points and £100+ fine. I know 100+ is a ban.

Also has that new law come into practise? Get caught speeding twice and your now banned? Regardless if you have 12 points or not?

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Question:

Q. At what speed am I likely to be booked?

The direction that Police officers have in most areas, at least outside London, is that up to 10mph over the limit a verbal caution should be given. Between 10 and 25mph over the limit, an endorseable fixed penalty should be given and over 25mph the driver should be reported and summonsed to court. In practice, the police officer has a good deal of discretion in the matter and may allow more or less of a fluctuation in relation to each category. For instance, more is normally allowed on motorways where it is not uncommon for the law to be enforced only at speeds over 85mph. It should be noted, though, that cameras are often set at a lower speed than a patrol officer would set and so anything above 80 mph could be seen as fair game. Some areas, especially London, set their cameras at the speed limit plus 10% plus 2mph. In a 30mph limit they would, therefore, be set at only 35mph. Aggravating features such as the proximity of a school would also have an effect. Forces across the country are now looking to reduce the enforcement speed in line with ACPO guidelines, so expect a 10% plus 2mph limit to avoid any unwanted communication with the Police.

This video might help regarding the new law:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/ifs_news/hi/newsid_4790000/newsid_4791900/nb_wm_4791980.stm

Stulet-GTT

Member +
It suck's wen caught but hey it happen's...

I got 9 point's now so gotta behave till april 2010 then i will lose 6 of them...

weeJohn

Lifer
I would speak to a solicitor mate, there might be a loophole there, and if he did not ask you how to spell your name, it was his mistake.

Its not the fine its the points you dont want after all, I would rather give £100 to a solicitor/barrister to represent me in court (if it is winable) than pay £60 and take the points.

lingl9z

Member +
I heard that instead of taking points/a fine you can do some program like a refresher course which is apparently more effective than points and a fine. not sure on how to opt in to doing that other points / a fine though.

Tony Harrison

Member +
I wish that was the case.... In 2005 i was *caught*, well i say caught, i mean followed over 1.219miles or something close in my Swift GTi on the M18 towards Sheffield, got pulled, fair enough i was in a car that was lowered, tinted, de-badged, and loudish, why would the rozzers not?? Anyway 91.2mph i was clocked at over 1mile so, I got 3points, £60 fine. Now if only i knew whether you could contest the ticket because of an ivalid name, i would have done, after all my middle name is Samuel NOT Samule.

lleey2k4

Member +
My brother got pulled by undercover car on Motorway the otherday 91 in a 70 3 points and a £60 fine.

Don't matter if they got your name or what else wrong they got your license number and registration so just take ur license and get your points and it will be sorted i noticed the longer i left the cash the longer you will be waiting to recieve your license and when you look as young as me your not getting in the clubs without it :p

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
Guys, I got caught today on motorway doing 91, silly I know. He said I got 3 points and £60 fine, and gotta take both parts of license to police station in 7 days, fair enough. Couple of my mates are saying I should have got more points and bigger fine? I signed the yellow form thingy in the T5 with him then off I went on my way, also he has spelt my name wrong on the actual form...? But I've already signed it..??

i got done for 91 in a 70 earlier this year and got 3 points and a 60 quidder

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
If you get out of this because of a mis-spelt name then its a fucking travesty.

Oh, and before anyone says it, I do pracice what I preach and I have a squeeky clean licence.

Last edited:

lingl9z

Member +
i got 3points for doing 63 in a 30 so the officer told me, but said it had miss read and took it again an i was only doing 50, his son had just past his test so said he'd give me a second chance =]

richglanzav

Member +
thats rly harsh mate...fair enuf he was speeding but weve all done it at some point or anuva, not exactly bein a knob is it