SPS Dowpipes

basketash

Member +
hi just been under the hood of the glanza for routine checks. I have found that my SPS down-pipe is cracked across the complete circumference of the flange where it connects to the manifold. Has anyone else had this problem and where do i stand with itl.

The down pipe had been fitted correctly and had been bolted to the chassis using the brace that was already on the downpipe. I know i have done nothing wrong regards fitting and installing. Any advice would be helpfull thanks.

affy

Lifer
hi just been under the hood of the glanza for routine checks. I have found that my SPS down-pipe is cracked across the complete circumference of the flange where it connects to the manifold. Has anyone else had this problem and where do i stand with itl.

The down pipe had been fitted correctly and had been bolted to the chassis using the brace that was already on the downpipe. I know i have done nothing wrong regards fitting and installing. Any advice would be helpfull thanks.

you got any pics bro? put one up of the crack if you can, its stainess steel right? they tend to be weak towards heat, i had a zep decat and still cracked
depends on the material used they do tend to crack after some time

get a pic up should be easier to see then

best one is a blitz as its cast iron

basketash

Member +
i bought one of the sps one because they were meant to be the dogs *******. If they crack in under a year of use i think that people should be aware before buying as its a bit of a ripoff.

basketash

Member +
Evidence

IMG_0623.jpg

dac69er

Super Moderator
It just happens with stainless mate, mine did the same like

not always. got my car with a wepr decat back in the day and that lasted a good while. think it was sold to chinaone and didnt here any bad things from him about it so assume it is still going strong!

was un-braced too

affy

Lifer
As you can see from the picture the grand canyon is quite visible

fook, thats bad, looks like bad welding if am correct, or could be that its the weakest part of the downpipe and will be easier for the heat to break it, then again not all products will be 100% some unlucky user wil get a bad one

have you tired a gutted cat, i had one and it does the job, and its cast iron :)

Dane_Bristol

Member +
All these decats where TIG welded and again sold 100s of them.

How are your engine mounts mate ? Excessive pull on the engine mounts can cause alot of stress on the welds IE: the exhaust system pulling against the decat upon acceleration which will add extra pressure on the decat.

There are various factors to consider but again every decat on the market is NOT perfect. My friend had a ZEP decat paid 250 pounds for it and it cracked 100% right around the weld and he was peed off.

The SPS decats where far from expensive and if i had paid 250 pound for a decat that lasted 1 month i too would be very annoyed.

I was going to get cast iron decats made but the price would be around 300 pound and honestly thought that knowone would buy one because knowbody stays in the CT9 categorey for a very long time so does not see the point of purchasing expensive stuff. There might be a few people that might have bought one but for the time taken to produce them vs the quantity it simply would not be worth it, so stuck with giving a good quality decat at a very good price.

Last edited:
first off I'm no mechanic but afaik most stainless manifolds and decats are using mild steel flanges, mild steel and stainless steel expand and contract at different rates when exposed to heat, that could be one of the causes of the uniformity of the crack, alot of the strees emposed on manis and decats could be due to the different expansion rates of mild steel and stainless,
the fact this was very securely braced could have also contributed to the decat breaking as under heat it could have put it under more stress.

traders sell stainless manis and decats knowing that some will crack, I know people of the site have seen products from ALL traders crack you just don't hear about it cus everybody is afraid of being flamed

basketash

Member +
my engine mounts are spot on to be honest every essence of my engine bay is spot on thats why i send it to powerhouse to be maintained. So if i miss something they wonti do this to ensure stuff like this dont happen. is there anything i can do about this as its not even a year old.

"traders sell stainless manis and decats knowing that some will crack, I know people of the site have seen products from ALL traders crack you just don't hear about it cus everybody is afraid of being flamed"

Well i think we should do something about this because its kind of a scam its like buying nock off nigels dvd's although when i purchased this i was told it would not crack and it was braced to ensure of that.

basketash

Member +
All these decats where TIG welded and again sold 100s of them.

How are your engine mounts mate ? Excessive pull on the engine mounts can cause alot of stress on the welds IE: the exhaust system pulling against the decat upon acceleration which will add extra pressure on the decat.

There are various factors to consider but again every decat on the market is NOT perfect. My friend had a ZEP decat paid 250 pounds for it and it cracked 100% right around the weld and he was peed off.

The SPS decats where far from expensive and if i had paid 250 pound for a decat that lasted 1 month i too would be very annoyed.

I was going to get cast iron decats made but the price would be around 300 pound and honestly thought that knowone would buy one because knowbody stays in the CT9 categorey for a very long time so does not see the point of purchasing expensive stuff. There might be a few people that might have bought one but for the time taken to produce them vs the quantity it simply would not be worth it, so stuck with giving a good quality decat at a very good price.

well my m.o.t has only just ran out and i had a standard cat during the mot so this cat aint no more than 11 months old

lew777

Member +
if its been welded and the correct size fillet weld is there the weld will be the last thing to crack. weld never fails if done correctly

TurboDave

Member +
my engine mounts are spot on to be honest every essence of my engine bay is spot on thats why i send it to powerhouse to be maintained. So if i miss something they wonti do this to ensure stuff like this dont happen. is there anything i can do about this as its not even a year old.

"traders sell stainless manis and decats knowing that some will crack, I know people of the site have seen products from ALL traders crack you just don't hear about it cus everybody is afraid of being flamed"

Well i think we should do something about this because its kind of a scam its like buying nock off nigels dvd's although when i purchased this i was told it would not crack and it was braced to ensure of that.

Some are lucky some are not, there are plenty of reviews about SS items on the site, I personally wouldnt buy a SS mani or downpipe.

Nobody can say 100% that it will not crack.

jabran200

Member +
As you can see from the picture the grand canyon is quite visible

That is clearly bad welding, seems to me in an effort for the welder to make the welds look neat he did not use enough filler as the flange doesn't even look like its been touched by weld (could be bad picture though). The material is really thin by the looks of it as well.

I can't do neat welds for shit at the moment (but they ain't that ugly lol) but I go for ugly and strong then neat and weak. It's o.k if you can weld good and have strong and neat welds. I guaranteed you if someone made downpipes using 3-4mm thick stainless it would never crack.

Last edited: