standard window film? best way to remove?

M

mad_max926

wanna get the windows tinted and have been tryin to remove the standard film and have already started to make a mess of it? i have started on the rear window does n e 1 have ne tips do the rear quarters have it on? wot about heating with hair dryer please let me no cause i was just using a stanley on the corners

M

mad_max926

gas what does that mean? brake cleaner wotu jus wiped it on n then got stanleying? ok is it on the rear quater windows as well or jus back?

bucketep91

Member +
he means fuel bud, mines came off no problem with a hair dryer and didnt leave any residue at all. came off in 1 piece aswell;)

Blak_Mamber

Member +
I have the same on my front two windows. Its not tinted, but its like some protective film shit. Makes the windows not appear clean :(

Is this the same stuff you have on yours mate?

Would be interesting to see peoples methods to remove that shit :)

M

mad_max926

yeah bro some protective shit it is i want it off to get my windows tinted and garage told me 25gbp per hour to remove i was using a stanley blade and have made a mess of it

bucketep91

Member +
a hair dryer and a window scraper. get a corner peeled then get the scraper under it and heat it up while pulling it off if it sticks a bit or rips use the scraper

M

mad_max926

nice one mate im gonna do that fuk all this ammonia and big bag shit i been reading is it on all windows ? like rear quarters?

Boab

Member +
Use nail polish remover but be careful with it (dont get it on seats or plastic). There is no real easy way. Mostly elbow grease. Done it myself a few times, hateful job.

Bob

M

mad_max926

i agree hateful is understatement oh well of work for anova week so ill spend some time on it

Boab

Member +
i agree hateful is understatement oh well of work for anova week so ill spend some time on it

Yea, I did one - got so sick of doing it it took me 3 months to work on the enthusiasm to do the other one. lol.

My Glanza has tinted windows (which last owner put on) - i'll just keep them on it as I just couldn't be bothered.

Bob

M

mad_max926

i gonna get my windows tinted but they told me to remove the protective film to get this best finish unless i wanna pay the m stupid moni but im just gonna stick at it n get it removed its nasty stuffy it keeps coming off in tiny rips im gonna try using a hairdryer tomorrow given up today

Motor

Member +
Can also use boiling water; rub it on with a sponge. Just be careful not to scald the hands off yourself like I did :rolleyes: Also leave the scraper in the water so it slides under the film easier and melts the adhesive as it goes

M

mad_max926

right ok the hair dryer thing worked well today and i have managed to remove this film extremely easily off of the rear quarters but i seem to have mesed up badly on the boot lid its taken off the film but left the glue and in some places a sort of half layer of tint.

its now supper hard to remove and think it will take hours to remove it (have been scrubbing with a cloth and using wd40+ brake cleaner) its not working have also been heating it with hairdryer again any one got any tips on how to get this crap off

M

mad_max926

just thought i would update this managed to get hold of a proper powerful general purpose cleaner called LOCTITE SUPERCLEAN dunno where u can buy this from but it does the trick so well comes in a spray can jus spray and rub with a cloth and it comes straight off just to let you no i didnt read the CAUTION part and decided to use it on my headlights it has ruined em to say the least lol

Mark-ep91

Member +
try a heat gun lads would probly get it off in seconds as its hotter than a hair dryer i use it to get off the stickers on cars they fall off:rockon: