Starlet EP81 2E-E to 4E-FTE!

zefinho10

Member +
Good morning to everybody, im new to the forum and i really really need your help.

So as the title says, im about to do and engine swap from 2e to 4efte. The problem starts since im not very well knowledged about car engineering.
I found a stock 4efte engine with ecu and wiring for conversion. But it does not include the transmission.
So now, by the time i will get the enigine, what else will i need to buy? Im talking only about engine stuff and not stuff like back disc brakes etc.
Does my current stock 2e-e transmission match with the engine or do i have to buy a new? Does the one from 4EFE fits or i will need 4eftes' ? The same goes for the gear box.
Question two, about the exhaust? I read somewhere that the 2e's exhaust doesnt match with the manifold! So if i will need a new one, lets say i will get one from an used 4EFE, then will i need to a whole new exhaust system or keep the 4EFE's and just change the final part.
In first place, i jusst need the car for a few kilometers a day, only 10 or maximum 20. I had in my mind, once the car can be driven and meet my needs, these few kilometers a day, the rest changes to complete the swap to do them slowly, for the next few months until summer and have it ready by the time its Summer.
So what else will i need to change on the car to make it meet my needs i mentioned above and what can i avoid, to save money, and change it later.

Thanks for your time reading my post, thanks for your time answering and sorry for my bad English, not my main language.

Jay

Admin
Welcome to the site.

My first turbo conversion was a 1.3 EP80 that was 2E-E. Engine was near unbreakable!

Used a crashed 1989 EP82 GT as a donor car. Swapped engine and dash looms across to make everything as plug and play as possible.

Learned a hell of a lot in the process.

1702921167044.png

1702921176633.png

1702921189511.png

1702921198906.png

1702921208928.png

1702921218321.png

1702921227794.png

Engine uses the same mounts. Have only used 4E gearboxes myself so not 100% sure on your original 2E gearbox being suitable. A cheap option might be an EP91 gearbox until you can source a turbo version. Thanks to the turbo, the exhaust attaches differently so customisation will be required there, I used a complete 4EFTE exhaust system as the original was like a drinking straw and not really worth modifying to suit. You would be better installing a front mounted intercooler as the standard top mount unit needs air flow (I fitted the GT bonnet as I had one lying spare). Fuel pump was a straight swap with the turbo version too.

When you say you have the wiring, do you mean the stock wiring from the donor vehicle or do you have a custom loom made up?

Worth noting turbo brakes and suspension are a fairly straight swap according to rumour.

zefinho10

Member +
Welcome to the site.

My first turbo conversion was a 1.3 EP80 that was 2E-E. Engine was near unbreakable!

Used a crashed 1989 EP82 GT as a donor car. Swapped engine and dash looms across to make everything as plug and play as possible.

Learned a hell of a lot in the process.

View attachment 10681

View attachment 10682

View attachment 10683

View attachment 10684

View attachment 10685

View attachment 10686

View attachment 10687

Engine uses the same mounts. Have only used 4E gearboxes myself so not 100% sure on your original 2E gearbox being suitable. A cheap option might be an EP91 gearbox until you can source a turbo version. Thanks to the turbo, the exhaust attaches differently so customisation will be required there, I used a complete 4EFTE exhaust system as the original was like a drinking straw and not really worth modifying to suit. You would be better installing a front mounted intercooler as the standard top mount unit needs air flow (I fitted the GT bonnet as I had one lying spare). Fuel pump was a straight swap with the turbo version too.

When you say you have the wiring, do you mean the stock wiring from the donor vehicle or do you have a custom loom made up?

Worth noting turbo brakes and suspension are a fairly straight swap according to rumour.
Hey thanks for the answer.
There is not donor car, its just an 4efte engine unfortunately. Sorry my English is not good, gearbox you mean the whole transmission thing right?
I havent buy it yet, its imported from Japan and its completely stock. It had never been into a car after the import, as the guy who sales it told me. I dont have much experience with tuning and stuff. This Starlet was given to me as a present from my older brother. When we were younger we were "dreaming" to make it 4efte GT but we never did. So now I want to complete this dream. I will follow my heart on this journey, i hope i will make it.
Now, back to the project. Is there anything else i will need to make it run in first place?
My plans are to fit the engine in, get a new exhaust, brakes and do a big service on the car. These are the things i can afford right now!
What else should i have on mind that need to be done with the swap ?

@SKINY ye i found the joey's thread. I think he made videos about it ? Because the posts dont help me much..... Transmission/gearbox are the big thing worrying me right not.

Jay

Admin
Installing it is mechanically straightforward however making it run properly will require a 4efte ECU.

There's two ways of doing that, you can either swap the whole looms over with the engine or you can cut the original loom and splice in the bits from a 4efte loom to make it work. I don't have the brains for the second method so I've had to rely on swapping the wiring harnesses in the past. Did two EP91 conversions and the wiring was sorted by a third party so you might need to check your options locally. There is a third 'cowboy' method but you'd need to know what you are doing otherwise you could have a blown engine very easily so I won't mention it.

Obviously an EP82 loom will suit your bodyshell, EP91 loom will be awkward to install.

If you do transplant the looms try to get the turbo instrument cluster and steering column stalks as they would be plug and play making things easier.

On the transmission front, the 4e gearboxes are interchangeable but I'm not 100% sure on the 2e-e gearbox. From what I remember it should bolt up okay but don't quote me on that.

The turbo flywheel and clutch will be larger but you may get that still bolted to the engine depending on the supplier. On that point, don't count on the non-turbo clutch and gearbox lasting once a turbo is applied to the set up.

Unfortunately, it's a bit of a project with plenty of pitfalls but that makes the end result a lot more satisfying.

Also, don't worry about the english, you are doing just fine!

zefinho10

Member +
First of all i want to thank you for your time answering to me.

The engine is coming from α spare parts junkyard where they import parts from other countries like Japan for example. Not exactly junkyard but i hope you understand what i mean. The guy who runs the operation sells an 4efte engine(stock) + loom (or wiring, i dont know whats the correct word) and ECU(stock). He told me the loom is ready to be used for the swap. I think it's from an EP82 like the engine.

Since the seller is far away from me and I dont know much stuff, I gave the phone to my mechanic to talk with him. So, he told me that we can run the stock transmission for now. He will also need the stock dynamo, i think its the same (correct me if im wrong), belts, downpipe and new exhaust or modify the current one. He said those things will be ok to make the car run. Do you guys agree?
Once the car is running we will see what else will be need to get. Disk brakes on rear wheels, bigger disks on forward wheels.

I dont know guys, i have been thinking about this swap for over a month now and kinda got me stressed and anxius.
The purchase(the engine) is 50-50, right ? Its a lot of money, im working hard everyday to make this. Starlet has been my dream car since a kid.
I want to follow my heart but something is holding me back, thats why i am asking here and there for opinions and help, to get as much informations possible.

-What is " turbo instrument cluster " ???

*/ Fun thing: As i were talking with my mechanic, one of his assistants hear our convo and said that someone told him that he is selling a stock Glanza without papers, for parts I guess, but he doesnt remember who told him that. Should I try to get more infos about this ?
Since its without papers, he will not require alot of money. But, is EP91/EP92/Glanza swap to my car easy? I mean, do they have alot in comon ? */

zefinho10

Member +
Hello guys, sorry for double posting but i want to share my updates with you..
Finally i got the enige. After a long research about the transmission, the stock one from 2E-E fits fine but it has shorter first gear. Will this be a problem ? I read in a forum than alot of guys have used it with no issues. They also stated that it has better acceleration with it than the 4EFTE transmission (the c152 if im correct) but the fuel consumption is higher.

Unfortunately, we had a problem while transporting the engine. The Throttle sensor got smashed. The corrector was saved though. I oredered a used sensor and once it will arrive we are good to go!
We also bought a rear axle with disc brakes from a crashed ep82 GT.
Also bought the GT km/h counter. Is it easy to plug it in ? Does it need any spefication?
I got also the hi lo switch which i dont know how to plug it since it has been removed from the engine as u will see in the photos. Is there any diagram or something how to connect the hi lo ?

By the way guys, am I allowed to post my updates here on this thread ? Even if noone answers to my posts??? Im asking if am allwed to double and triple post in row...

Since im new to these kind of stuff, and advice or recommendations are very very welcomed!

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1706429768000.jpg
    1706429768000.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 1706429768005.jpg
    1706429768005.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 1706429768009.jpg
    1706429768009.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 1706429768021.jpg
    1706429768021.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 1706432262775.jpg
    1706432262775.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 1706432262781.jpg
    1706432262781.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: Jay

Jay

Admin
Good to see some progress :)

Feel free to create your own build thread in the Member's Cars forum, it might help keep all your info and updates in the one spot. Posts can be done without replies and can be edited anytime you want. I use mine to keep track of things I would usually forget doing!

If you got the interior dash loom with the engine it's a case of plugging the cluster and switches in once you have installed it. If not then it's a whole world of hurt and question marks.

zefinho10

Member +
Hello Jay, how are you?
Are you talking about the speedmeter installation or the hi lo.
If its the hi lo then its ok, not planning to install it yet. If its for the speedmeter counter, the. What exactly do i need to make it work? My instinct tells me you are talking about this.
I ordered the stock blow off valve and i will create my own thread with updates.
Good morning.

Jay

Admin
Hi mate, was talking about both. They would just plug into the interior donor loom.

If you don't have the interior dash loom from the turbo car then there's a lot of guesswork and the wiring will need changed. Same for the turbo ECU as well. Would possibly need a local vehicle electrician to take a look at it.

zefinho10

Member +
Hi mate, was talking about both. They would just plug into the interior donor loom.

If you don't have the interior dash loom from the turbo car then there's a lot of guesswork and the wiring will need changed. Same for the turbo ECU as well. Would possibly need a local vehicle electrician to take a look at it.
Hey, the dash loom is different from the engine bay right ? So i need a second loom ? Dash'r loom from the donor car.
Is that right ?
If i dont have the dash loom then what happens??? No lights, not signals etc ??? WTF. I thought they whould just plug in like it was before with the old engine. The old dash loom will not match ??? Will it match at anything else except hi lo and the speedmeter ???
If anyone else have advices please be free to share with me.

zefinho10

Member +
Engines swapped. Everything works wonders for now! We used the stock transmission and its just fine! Its shorter than the GT though.
Does GT have the same exhaust as Glanza ?? I know the back end is with 2 pipes on ep82 but is the route the same ??
I have bought the stock downpipe/catalyst. Also found but now not bought yet exhaust muffler from glanza. I cant find the whole stock exhaust so i will buy it in parts and the connect it all together.
For now, we put a straight pipe and loud as hell.My plans are to make it as stock as possible though.

**Can anyone type what time belt is using? The code of the product so i can buy the same kit. Thats important.

Thanks. I will post pictures pretty soon.

Jay

Admin
Good work!

Exhaust manifold, downpipe and front sections are pretty much the same but the backbox is mounted differently between EP82 & EP91.

This link should take you to the diagrams for a 1996 Glanza V :

https://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/1996/starlet/ep91-agmqy/4_121150_006_/tool-engine-fuel

Timing belt part number is 13568-19106. Usually best to stick with genuine Toyota on belts and seals if you can, the third party stuff can be a bit hit and miss on quality.

Looking forward to some pics!

zefinho10

Member +
Hello Jay,

If the routing is the same then we are good to go. I spoke with the mechanic and told me he can make mounts, thats not a problem to him.
I got a dash loom from an old crashed GT and we are trying to make the speedometer work. We just took the pins and trying to connect with the
current loom. Do you think it will work ?
Hopefully tommow i will it will be ready since i got all the stuff we need. We also did a repair on the turbine because it was leaking (Nothing special and serious).

I got 2 different GT seats and i dont know which one to choose. The one i like most( the blue/white one, the classic) has a few holes and i will try to fix them. I also got the doors' panels but unfortunately they are from 3door ( GT ).
Not a problem at all, i will cut it just to fit perfectly and i will use the remain fabric to cover the holes(200IQ xD).

Once i will have the car home, i will do a full post with every step amd detail. Stay tuned brother!!!!!