Starter motor playing up?

Gee

Member +
Turned my car over today and it struggled a bit..sort like coughing but did eventually start.

When to start it 10 minutes ago after starting it up and it would not start or turn really at all.

Got someone to check the battery and it was fine, so they said it was probabaly the starter motor. Manged to jump start it and drive away.

Just got back home, parked up and it turned it off. Turned it over a few times and is starting everytime :homer:

Come tomorrow morning I'm sure it's not going to start.

Sound like the starter motor playing up?

Toyota said they are £141.00 ex VAT and are reconditioned.

Anyone have one lying around.

Car is doing my head in. To be fair thou, this is the first time anything has gone which was not my own doing, so has been reliable.

andybill

Member +
sure its not just the cold weather mate ? was hammering it down last night and then freezing over night, could this have played a role

Gee

Member +
No mate, my car has no problems in the cold weather. Uusally starts perfect everytime, regardless of the temp.

The car was warm anyway, drove it 20 miles. Stopped and turned off for 5 minutes, came back and the fucker would not turn over and I had to jump start it.

Sound like the starter guys?

Rory

Lifer
Sounds like it Gee.
You could take it out, and give it a clean, and grease. Wouldnt hurt it, especially in the colder weather. Everything tends to give up at this time of year, due to the cold.

Gee

Member +
I don't even know where the starter motor is located. Nothiong I have ever dealt with before..how embarassing.

Got a picture?

When you ha ve a chance have a quick check of the power cable going from the battery to the starter motor, it could be possible this has been damaged or snagged by something. this could cause it to start sometimes and not other (depending on how much of the damaged cores are touching each other)

Where abouts are you from Gee?? Im pretty sure I have a reconditioned starter motor lying around the garage somewhere (which I got from fensport)

My situation was the same as above^^ It turned out my starter motor was fine, but the power cable was damaged.

Edit: Starter motor is located at the back of the engine near the bottom, hard to explain really a pic would help :-S

Rory

Lifer
Not to hand as im not on my own comp.

Will try and explain, looking at the engine, look towards where the gearbox joins the block.
At the back of the engine, at the join betwen the two, below the inlet manifold, it is located there.

2 bolts and one bolt for the electrical connection.
Would advise to do it from underneath. Yes the shaft does get in the road, but it can be done.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i wouldnt rule out the battery. when mine was dying it checked out ok when testing it, but changed it anyway and it sorted the problem.

cold weather kills batteries so it may be worth a change if you suspect it. how old is the battery and is it a half decent one?

Gee

Member +
Sideways,

I'm from Huddersfield mate. If you have one, how soon could you post and how much?

Both of ya,

Thanks for the tips, will try check the cable also!

Gee

Member +
Duncan,

The battery is probabaly less than a year old and is decent yeah.

Thing is, if it was battery wouldnt it just be dead and thats it? When I got home and turned off and restarted as a test it started everytime.

I'll have a look into postage 2moro for you. (shame my old man used to live up there 5 days a week)

I'll only want what I paid: £40 which will include delivery.

One thing you will need to do 1st is take a photo of the electrical connection for us. I have found that some starlets have different electrical connections to the starter motor (which was the case with mine. This will cause a prob as you may not be able to connect the power lead to the new motor.

I'll take a photo of my motor tonight and will post it up so you can see the connection you will get. No sense me selling/sending you a motor that wont mate up with your cable :)

Gee

Member +
Man,

I had a look and its dark can't see shit.

Can't even see the starter motor and tried following the cable. Its in plastic casing for protection.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Duncan,

The battery is probabaly less than a year old and is decent yeah.

Thing is, if it was battery wouldnt it just be dead and thats it? When I got home and turned off and restarted as a test it started everytime.

not necessarily. mine had an intermittent hot start problem. was fine from cold and sometimes when hot, but it often would be a bit of a bitch to start. all i can think is that under load the battery broke down inside.
your battery is more than likely fine but may be worth taking it to a garage that has battery load tester (basically a big resistor they use to short the battery out)

Gee

Member +
Not much chance of that now Dunc. No garages open here at this time and I have work at 7:00am which means getting up at 5:30am.

Lets hope it starts!?

Maybe I should go get a battery now just in case...but don't want to shut the fucker off as it might not start again! Fuck sakes.

Texx

Super Moderator
The car was warm anyway, drove it 20 miles. Stopped and turned off for 5 minutes, came back and the fucker would not turn over and I had to jump start it.

Sound like the starter guys?

When you say 'jump start', did you bump the car to start the engine or use jump leads and another battery/car to get it started?

If you used jump leads, I'd say it's more likely to be a problem with the battery as you are effectively connecting another battery to the car. Usually, the best way to tell would be to turn the headlamps on and then try and start the engine, if the lights go dim, then either the battery is shagged, alternator is not charging properly or the starter motor is seized. It's not likely the motor would be seized though. If the lights don't dim when trying to start the engine, chances are the battery is OK.

I would also check the earth straps from the battery to the body and the body to the engine/gearbox. Make sure the connection at either end of the earth strap has less than 0.1Ω resistance and that the strap is in good condition and not frayed.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Not much chance of that now Dunc. No garages open here at this time and I have work at 7:00am which means getting up at 5:30am.

Lets hope it starts!?

Maybe I should go get a battery now just in case...but don't want to shut the fucker off as it might not start again! Fuck sakes.

if you dont mind the expense halfords may have one of those testers to buy. or if you ask nicely enough one of the gimps may have access to one if you dare let them near your car!?

couldnt you pop to a garage in your lunch break to get it tested tomorrow? you wont be able to do alot tonight apart from changing the battery really!

Gee

Member +
When I say jump start I mean I had to push it mate! When turning over I did notice the interior and exterior lights dimming..could this be battery!?

Also, I have an Apexi Commander and see charge when ideling correctly as about 14v? So hopefully not alternator?

Just been back out to the car and it is starting over. Should I go waste money on another battery just in case?

Dunc,

I work 20 miles away and I don't know if the car is going to start tomorrow anyway, thats the thing. Going to have to try roll it down the hill.

Already checked the battery at a garage.

dac69er

Super Moderator
remove the efi fuse or the king lead to the distributor and crank the car over while watching the voltage on the commander. see how low it drops after a few revolutions and then leave it to see if it regains voltage at a reasonable rate.

also what voltage does the commander say the battery has just after turning it off and about an hour or 2 after being turned off?

Texx

Super Moderator
When turning over I did notice the interior and exterior lights dimming..could this be battery!?

So when you get this non starting issue, does the engine actually crank when you try to start it? Or does nothing happen? Or do you get a clicking noise?

Do you have an immobiliser fitted that has a starter cut?