Strange coilover setup in front

PPH

Fresh Recruit
I have problem with my -98 Glanza V, other front spring is broken.
However, the coilover that is installed in Japan seems to be little bit strange. Spring diameter is much wider than usually seen in coils. It is about 16cm in lower end and about 13cm in upper end. Wonder if this is actually some setup where is stock sized spring fitted to adjustable coil type damper?

Problem is that I need new spring until end of month for MOT re-inspection. I have no idea what to buy :) I rear there is coils that have TEIN stickers on them and those seems like traditional coils, but I think these front suspensions are not TEIN?

Anyone have any information about these kind of setup? :)
Pics:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1013...s/6066349077265206433?authkey=CIPukNvNwvuQkAE

davehart

Member +
I've not seen anything like that before.

Maybe as Colin says, those mad japs got custom with the front setup?

PPH

Fresh Recruit
Most likely it is DIY with some original type spring. Damper is however adjustable, there is some adjust knob in top. Wondering if I could install non-turbo spring to it, is there much difference in non-turbo and Glanza V springs? I could get non turbo springs as spare parts, but haven't found anything for Glanza. Only whole lowering spring sets, but no need for rear springs... Would be quick and dirty resolution for MOT. I think I should buy some proper coil set to there some point because it seems that damper is also leaking little bit (passed MOT damper test though).

Jay

Admin
Look like Tein NA's.

I have a very rusty set in my 5E, the rears will look fine it's just the fronts that are like that.

Sort of a cross between standard shocks and coilovers. I've always found mine to be awesome but I'm hardly an expert lol.

5e colin

Member +
Most likely it is DIY with some original type spring. Damper is however adjustable, there is some adjust knob in top. Wondering if I could install non-turbo spring to it, is there much difference in non-turbo and Glanza V springs? I could get non turbo springs as spare parts, but haven't found anything for Glanza. Only whole lowering spring sets, but no need for rear springs... Would be quick and dirty resolution for MOT. I think I should buy some proper coil set to there some point because it seems that damper is also leaking little bit (passed MOT damper test though).

if you change coils and want to get sorted quick and cheap you can buy polo 6n coilovers for 187£ and mod them to fit !!!

fronts need hole redrilling and the back need bush narrowing on the bottom and steel bush cutting in half

will try digging up my thread of it

PPH

Fresh Recruit
if you change coils and want to get sorted quick and cheap you can buy polo 6n coilovers for 187£ and mod them to fit !!!

fronts need hole redrilling and the back need bush narrowing on the bottom and steel bush cutting in half

will try digging up my thread of it

Thanks for the tip.
But those inspectors are so strict here in Finland that if they notice that there is new coil setup they will be asking some papers or certificates if those are intended to specific vehicle :)

PPH

Fresh Recruit
Decided to go with new BC Racing set.
I got answer from TEIN that S-tech springs fit to these dampers, if somebody else is facing same problems with these:
The Tein NA dampers where originally sold with S-Tech springs and for EP91 we had 2 Spring r options available (Soft and Medium).
The Medium rate springs are now unfortunately discontinued but the Softer rate version are available and in stock.

Please see below for the product details for the Softer S-Tech Springs.

PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION LIST PRICE (Ex Vat) PRICE (INC Vat) AVAILABILITY
SKT90-S1B00 S-TECH EP91-S £120.00 £144.00 IN STOCK