Sump Nut Thread Size

GP82

Member +
Does anyone know the thread size for the sump nut? I am installing gauges and i need to get the oil temp gauge sensor in the sump.

h003.jpg

The oil temp sensor is the furthest to the right, it is slightly smaller then an M14x1.5, i'm guessing it's an M12x1.5?

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Don't put in the sump, that's a very vulnerable place to have a sensor that could easily get ripped off over a bump or by a rock and result in you losing all of your oil!

GP82

Member +
Don't put in the sump, that's a very vulnerable place to have a sensor that could easily get ripped off over a bump or by a rock and result in you losing all of your oil!

Did not think of that! It is a possibility and could end in tears, but if i place the temp gauge sensor somewhere else, i will not get an accurate reading! The best place is in the the sump as that is where the pickup up pump is taking the oil to the bearings. Is there anywhere else that i can take a feed from to get an accurate oil temp reading?

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Yeah you could take the sump off and weld on a fitting for it, or if you check in my garage I've put mine in the oil filter housing which seems to get a good reading (same as a sandwich plate there would). Others have also fitted them on a feed off of the standard pressure switch so there are a few options.;)

GP82

Member +
Yeah you could take the sump off and weld on a fitting for it, or if you check in my garage I've put mine in the oil filter housing which seems to get a good reading (same as a sandwich plate there would). Others have also fitted them on a feed off of the standard pressure switch so there are a few options.;)

Think i will have to take a feed from the filter housing. Having a sensor probe sticking out the sump will get me apprehensive and i'd be gettin' out the car every few miles jus' to check if it's still there :homer: