Sump query

Tech1889

Fresh Recruit
Alright Jay.. The guy i bought it off managed to cave it in so i have a slow leak and have to check oil every couple of days its more annoying than anything.. been told they like £100 from dealers which is very steep and hopefully avoidable lol..

Skalabala

Member +
No they are not the same?
One uses a round oil pick up and the other a oval rectangle type of shape.
Might be wrong though.

dark_knight

Member +
sump differences

i don't think it's that serious fellaz.. unless you start talking fluid dynamics and splash patterns.. so long as the pick-up isn't being starved, he'll be alright.. it is, afterall, the same engine is it not..?

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
Is every Pick up designed for each individual sump.....No, These cars are a mass production item,

as for the sump and small leak Save yourself a bit of money, go to your local fabrication shop/ garage and say i need my sump welded. they will straighten your sump and weld the crack, job done,

Jay

Admin
No they are not the same?
One uses a round oil pick up and the other a oval rectangle type of shape.
Might be wrong though.

Correct. They are different.

The later sump is narrowed to reduce oil surge in the corners whereas the GT's share the same basic design of the NA engines (wider and flatter). You will need to use the oil pickup that matches the sump you intend to use.

Jay

Tech1889

Fresh Recruit
Cheers for your help guys.. Hopefully will get it at a cheap price.. Is a 82 sump gona be fine on a 91 tho ?

Tech1889

Fresh Recruit
How hard is it gona be to get a gt oil pick up ?? any prices ?? I can get the sump for £40 delivered virtually brand new

Skalabala

Member +
I am just saying these things because 4EFTE loves throwing bearings.
Thus it will be best to not tamper with the fluid/splash dynamics.
Sorry for being unclear Franza, I meant for the two designs there is not everyone hand checked and matched :D

dark_knight

Member +
Skalabala, really..? i thought engines, any engine for that matter, only throw bearings when they are starved of oil for extended periods of time..? hehe anyway, i hear ya mate. you sound like a man who's seized a couple of bearings.. have you..? :)

bongskag

Member +
baffle your sump. just weld a few plates vertically down to the bottom from the top plate . I suppose it depends how much hard cornering you do! it stops all the oil going to one side of the pan whilst in a long corner ( or constant acceleration )
I even put loads of magnets in the sump, they wont catch ally but you end up scraping loads of filings off the magnets, I dont know why the oil filter doesn't catch all of the bits

after resealing your sump wait for 24 hours before adding oil or starting the engine,

Tech1889

Fresh Recruit
Thanks for the advice guys.. I am tempted to remove this sump get it repaired and baffled and maybe a plate welded to bottom to give it a bit more protection but i just cant be without the car for periods of time.. confused with what to do at the mo