Take a look at my RR Afrs

Pav

Member +
Hey guys,

I recently sold my Blitz ecu so was back to standard management. This was with a view to getting an emanage as a replacement, which soon went out the window as I spent £700 on a clutch, new synchros, flywheel etc and £300 some new wheels :)

More recently, I fitted an Fse regulator and gauge plus a Greddy fcd and took the car to the rollers to be setup. I got them both for free so I thought why not give them a try and see what power my car can make with that setup.

It made 178 bhp and 194 ft/lbs at slightly over 1 bar of boost. What concerns me is the regulator was set to 2.5 bar (only very slightly over stock fuel pressure), and my tuner seemed to think the resulting map was safe.

I was much inclined to disagree with this after reading that the target afrs should be around 11.8 to be safe.

Anyway here is my rr printout. As you can see the general afr line drops steadily but seems to be too high overall, plus there are two nasty lean spots which is why I turned the boost down. I would like views from people who have decent experience and actually know what theyre talking about, rather than speculation, dont mean to sound like a jerk, I just see too much advice being dished out on forums without experience or thought.

RRwithFCDandREG.jpg

I've been told that 1 bar can be safely fueled with an fcd and regulator alone, can someone please confirm this and if so offer any advice on what I should do next week when I go back on the rollers to set it up properly. Im thinking try more like 3 bar of fuel pressure and go from there as I've read this is often a good pressure to run 1 bar with, but each car is different. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Many thanks,

Pav

Last edited:

Phil

Super Moderator
so the afr starts at high 14's off boost, low 13's coming on boost, mid 13's and then tailing off to a high 11 at the end of the rev range.

it seems very lean especially on boost, unsafe actually.

i know that setting your fpr to a random pressure isnt ideal, but i think over 3bar was usual for folks running 1bar ct9. be worth doing in the meantime. worth doing as in it'll save you the cost of a new engine.

Phil

Pav

Member +
so the afr starts at high 14's off boost, low 13's coming on boost, mid 13's and then tailing off to a high 11 at the end of the rev range.

it seems very lean especially on boost, unsafe actually.

i know that setting your fpr to a random pressure isnt ideal, but i think over 3bar was usual for folks running 1bar ct9. be worth doing in the meantime. worth doing as in it'll save you the cost of a new engine.

Phil

Yep thats what worried me.

Thats just what I did tonight, I actually set it to 2.9 bar pressure to see what its like on 0.85 bar (within stock ecu limits), it seemed pretty good actually. I dont particularly want a blown engine, but if shit happens I guess that gives me an excuse to go forged. In the meantime, I'd much rather avoid that hassle!

Phil

Super Moderator
theres no way i would have it runing like that mate to lean

well you asked for guys who know this game Pav, chris tunes these cars so you've got it from the best source....

and they all said/////////////// Toooo Lean :(

Phil

Pav

Member +
theres no way i would have it runing like that mate to lean

Ok mate, glad you've seen this. Would you agree that turning up the fuel pressure and giving it another RR sesh would be the best option in my situation?

I havent the funds for an emanage you see, not at the moment at least.

Chris@CCM

Member +
Ok mate, glad you've seen this. Would you agree that turning up the fuel pressure and giving it another RR sesh would be the best option in my situation?

I havent the funds for an emanage you see, not at the moment at least.
yes mate

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
My understanding is even a short blast with her running very lean is enuf to do alot of damage. I'd get the fuel pressure upped sooner rather than later and get it re checked lad.

Pav

Member +
Ok, fuel pressure was set to 2.8 earlier tonight. Im gonna run 3.0 tomorrow, and wait till monday after the RR before I push it again.

Cheers for the help peeps :)

Last edited:

Pav

Member +
I have an update from the rollers last night using higher fuel pressures. Have a gander at the graphs below.

Below: Red Line (original run), bhp and afr on 2.5 bar fuel pressure. Green line, tonights run using 3 bar fuel pressure. Note the drop of 12 bhp.

DSC01103.jpg

Next graph shows a run using 2.8 bar fuel pressure. Closer to the power on 2.5 but not as lean. Still higher than some would run. I feel I should run 3 bar untill I get some management. Will running an emanage really help big time? I had my eye on 200 bhp with management, but it looks quite a way off from my current power levels, some tuners I've talked with have the view that ignition timing is very important and a big step in gaining more power. My torque is always healthy though. On this run it was 187 ft/lbs

Note the lean peak on this run, could this be to do with my injectors maxing out under boost peak possibly? I'll email them and get some graphs including boost maps too, the lean spot is located right where the boost comes in at 1.18, then drops quickly to 1 bar.

DSC01106.jpg

Any input would be much appreciated. :)

Cheers

fur

Member +
put it back to 3 bar and be merry
no sense taking unnecessary chances, and 3 bar puts it right there in 11s where it is more than safe

yeah....the 3 bar graph looks the part....when u get the emaneg u can get more power in there from both fuel and ignition adjustments

but for now....run the 3 bar

u will hardly notice the 12hp difference anyway

Pav

Member +
Sweet job, glad I went back and got it on 3 bar. 2.8 bar was merely a test to see what afrs were acheieved and any power gains noted for reference, not to be used while driving, I thought I might as well while I was there to see how it affects those lean spot(s).

Chris, if I keep it on 3 bar and get the emanage on there, will that be a suitable pressure to work with and dial back the afrs appropriately?

It seems not to get a lean spot at all, perhaps due to the added pressure on the injectors (meaning theyre less likely to max out)?

Chris@CCM

Member +
Sweet job, glad I went back and got it on 3 bar. 2.8 bar was merely a test to see what afrs were acheieved and any power gains noted for reference, not to be used while driving, I thought I might as well while I was there to see how it affects those lean spot(s).

Chris, if I keep it on 3 bar and get the emanage on there, will that be a suitable pressure to work with and dial back the afrs appropriately?

It seems not to get a lean spot at all, perhaps due to the added pressure on the injectors (meaning theyre less likely to max out)?
u wont need a fpr with the emanage mate better just using the stock one

Pav

Member +
I've heard this from another tuner, some tuners like weston performance dont find it a problem as I found out today (in fact they saw it as an advantage), but I swapped my standard reg with the fse unit, so its here to stay unless I go to the trouble of finding a standard one again.

What would you suggest in this situation? Set it to standard pressure?

GTti

Member +
Keeping the Adjustable FPR is fine, you just leave the base pressure at something suitible to tune with. If you want to get the most out of a smaller injector then the AFPR may be usefull to the tuner, but if you're using larger injectors then theres no point.

The increase in pressure puts your AFR's in a safe zone it would appear, for the short term that will do fine. However if you want to extract more then you'll need to wait for the management.

GTti

Member +
Also, I like the way you've concentrated on the more important aspects of your Dyno session, useful for others to compare against.