TD05 Hybrid -1 Standard HG -0

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Toyota Headgaskets dont like big turbos :) managed to turn mine to mush literally in about 60mins today. Theres bits of head gasket floating in the radiator and huge lumps stuck to the cap.

Whats the symptoms of lifting the head? We were mapping it and went the full of 3rd gear then into fourth and at 6000rpm it just stopped pulling and lost power.

The next pull to 3rd she started heating up and no heat in the blowers. So dunno if the head lifted and blew the gasket or if the gasket just blew.

Damn that thing was shifting though!!!

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
The headbolts had been way way over torqued by the guy that put it on so I think it would have helped to send it on its way.

The smoke limping home was funny as hell! Well maybe a little embaressing :p

billybob

Untrusted Seller
well aleast the water pump is working fine if you have some headgasket bits in the rad:)what were ya boosting at say you were getting some nice power.will ya make it for the drag racing:drive:

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I have another HG here but I'm not going to put it in for saturday. I've a cruise one on the way along with some cams so will hold out for them.

Was boost just above 1.4 bar, felt like she was around 290-300hp, well my old setup at 260hp felt nothing like this was going! 3rd gear was just about keeping traction the way the car felt. It's all good craic!

billybob

Untrusted Seller
id say the turbo lifted that head to much power in that setup ,shit im putting a steel headgasket on mine just getting the head ported and stuff forged stuff on the way.:beer::beer:

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Aye I think it lifted the head, still too much compression but I'll sort that out :)

speedvision

Member +
Toyota Headgaskets dont like big turbos :) managed to turn mine to mush literally in about 60mins today. Theres bits of head gasket floating in the radiator and huge lumps stuck to the cap.

Whats the symptoms of lifting the head? We were mapping it and went the full of 3rd gear then into fourth and at 6000rpm it just stopped pulling and lost power.

The next pull to 3rd she started heating up and no heat in the blowers. So dunno if the head lifted and blew the gasket or if the gasket just blew.

Damn that thing was shifting though!!!

make sure u check ur head and block to see if it warped during that run and get them both flat b4 u install again

sam

Monkfish

Member +
Over-torqueing the headbolts will stretch them. That was your undoing.

New bolts and gasket time. Might be worth sourcing some ARP bolts and better gasket if you're running silly boost.

Enzo

Member +
hardluck spuddy!
i thought toyota hg's were pretty resiliant. shows how much i know.

you might be interested in this btw clicky

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.

New bolts and gasket time. Might be worth sourcing some ARP bolts and better gasket if you're running silly boost.

Yea the bolts where not just a little over torqued but alot. From memory the guy told me he did a 20nm 40nm 90degree and another 90degree!!!

But its all good, everythings ordered thats needed plus an extra wee bit for more power while I'm at it so I'm happy enuf.

The car never overheated it was so obvious the HG went, the most the temp woulda got to was about 100 degrees, I watch that damn thing like mad during mapping, especially on the 4th gear runs.

With a big HG failure is it possible to burn coolent and some oil too out of the exhuast? The smoke is mainly white but in it u can smell burnt oil.

Phil

Super Moderator
so i wont see this thing running tomorrow then LOL i may not even go now actually :(

hard spuddy, i think if anyone needs those uprated bolts studs it could be you, and that cruise HG.

she must go some now!?

Phil

Last edited:

350ep70gr

Member +
Yea the bolts where not just a little over torqued but alot. From memory the guy told me he did a 20nm 40nm 90degree and another 90degree!!!

But its all good, everythings ordered thats needed plus an extra wee bit for more power while I'm at it so I'm happy enuf.

The car never overheated it was so obvious the HG went, the most the temp woulda got to was about 100 degrees, I watch that damn thing like mad during mapping, especially on the 4th gear runs.

With a big HG failure is it possible to burn coolent and some oil too out of the exhuast? The smoke is mainly white but in it u can smell burnt oil.

With 20nm 40nm 90degree you come to 75% yield of the bolt. With the additional 90 degree i am surpised you didnt snap the bolts during boost phase. This torques settings could be also cause bolt to be longer permantly (over elastic to plastic area) and cause the hg failure.And during the hg failure it is possible to burn coolant and oil though the exhaust.

Chris

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
With 20nm 40nm 90degree you come to 75% yield of the bolt. With the additional 90 degree i am surpised you didnt snap the bolts during boost phase. This torques settings could be also cause bolt to be longer permantly (over elastic to plastic area) and cause the hg failure.And during the hg failure it is possible to burn coolant and oil though the exhaust.

Chris

Aye I couldnt beleive he torqued em up so much. I remember him saying, that HG wont go now!! Haha well he'll be getting some news later today :)

I'm very curious to see wot shap the gasket is in, if lumps of it are in my radiator and water turns instantly to chocolate and smells like fumes, its bound to be pritty!

billybob

Untrusted Seller

were can you get arp head bolts anybody on site sell them:confused:over thighen must have done it as theres a few lads running 300 bhp over with the standerd bolts

Last edited:

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
so i wont see this thing running tomorrow then LOL i may not even go now actually :(

hard spuddy, i think if anyone needs those uprated bolts studs it could be you, and that cruise HG.

she must go some now!?

Phil

Nah Phil she won't be on the strip tomorrow, I was going to borrow an MR2, but not going to bother now, the 1/4 mile fee can go towards getting it back on the road, only thing I've not bought is Headbolts, looking at them stronger ones but they'd be too far off for me, I need them next week.

Here it can go lol!!! I cant wait to see it at 1.8bar I have a fair suspiction I'll be shitting myself on a regular occurance, if it goes that well at 1.4! 3rd gear just comes in with such a thump it just puts u back in the seat! Such a nice feeling :)

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
were can you get arp head bolts anybody on site sell them:confused:

The direct fit ones aren't available, only thing at the minute is the arp ones for a 4age but u need to tap the block and machine the head for them to fit.