Teaching yourself to map a car?!

jf84

Member +
I want to teach myself to map a car, now where the hell do i start?

I downloaded the emange ultimate tool today and understand some of it but some of it is beyond me so how do some of you get to know so much to be able to say yeah i can map a car?

Wouldnt care if it took me 2 years or more to learn i just want to know where i start?!

Iain@CRD

Lifer
Theres a book thats very very useful that Chirs@CCM passed details to me on about. I bought it off ebay for around £15 and gives you a good place to start on the knowledge side.

You need alot more than an emanage tool tho! You'll need det cans, wideband kit etc aswell.

dac69er

Super Moderator
start with the simple theory of how an engine works. then progress to looking at the different parts of this in more detail.
once you fully understand how a car works and what effect different things have on the running or performance of a car (timing, fuelling, compression etc) only then can you really look into tuning them.

the basic theory of tuning a car is fairly generic across the board. every engine has its weak points and strong points and you should tune with these in mind.

then you choose a peice of software and get to know it inside out if you can. once you have mastered that your pretty much set. tuning software is tuning software (within reason) and if you can use one you can use them all.

Chris@CCM

Member +
I've been tuning cars for about 4 years and I'm only starting now to get a true idea what it's about tunning a emanage is handy as u don't really have timing to worry about to much but there's so so much more to mapping that having a good Afr more boost is not all ways more power and the Cr of ur engine that seams to be over looked so much plays a big big part

jf84

Member +
Theres a book thats very very useful that Chirs@CCM passed details to me on about. I bought it off ebay for around £15 and gives you a good place to start on the knowledge side.

You need alot more than an emanage tool tho! You'll need det cans, wideband kit etc aswell.

Whats the name of this book and where can i get it? be intresting to see it :)
Id get wideband and that if i knew i was confident enough to say yeah il give it a go but who would let a newbie map their car at risk of blowing it up?!

start with the simple theory of how an engine works. then progress to looking at the different parts of this in more detail.
once you fully understand how a car works and what effect different things have on the running or performance of a car (timing, fuelling, compression etc) only then can you really look into tuning them.

the basic theory of tuning a car is fairly generic across the board. every engine has its weak points and strong points and you should tune with these in mind.

then you choose a peice of software and get to know it inside out if you can. once you have mastered that your pretty much set. tuning software is tuning software (within reason) and if you can use one you can use them all.

I no how it all works it just the ignition timeing and fuel that confuses me all the numbers and how do you know if its wrong and what to change it to and where?!

sx_turbo

Lifer
this is a very good start

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engine-Management-Optimising-Carburettors-High-performance/dp/1859608353

you will have to read the book about 3/4 times and even then you still might not understand everything,

i have read it twice so far and havnt really had time to sit down and actually take it in and play with the software supplied.

i also have another tuning book written by the man who started tuning 101, cant remember the name of it, but i have that at home also and its pretty much the same story as dave walkers book i havnt really had time to sit down and read it properly

Chris@CCM

Member +
First off ur better looking in to how every sensor works and what it dose and what changes this could have on the ecu as for fuel and timing it's not easy just takes time don't think u would be a tuner over nite fire me a pm if u want any help , ur best bet would be to start with a mega squirt u will learn loads by the end of it

sx_turbo

Lifer
mybe a good video on someone tunning a car step by step jobby lol fuck books :)

if you get the haynes book by dave walker, it comes with demo software and a fake engine, if you follow the steps in the book you will have a map in 3 hours, (3 hours is the average length of time it takes to get a decent safe map, to get a map perfect you will need to spend a fair bit longer on it)

billybob

Untrusted Seller
if you get the haynes book by dave walker, it comes with demo software and a fake engine, if you follow the steps in the book you will have a map in 3 hours, (3 hours is the average length of time it takes to get a decent safe map, to get a map perfect you will need to spend a fair bit longer on it)

Not bad

dac69er

Super Moderator
to get a map perfect you will need to spend a fair bit longer on it

that is to true. 99% of the maps you get when you leave a tuners arent as perfect as they could be. spend alot more time on it and you end up with an even better tune ;)

billybob

Untrusted Seller
were can i get this book in Ireland any idea or a good site on the net ?Engine Management: Optimising Carburettors, Fuel Injection and Ignition Systems (Haynes High-performance Tuning) by dave walker

si2001

Member +
Just remember to make a backup of any map before altering it :) ....i nearly died when I altered mine and then the car wouldnt start. I was in the middle of nowhere when I did it. Why I thought it was a good place to tinker I have no idea. Luckily I backed up first so flashed it back over and up and running again :)

jf84

Member +
Cheers for all the replys people :) decided that after my hgv that I'm doing this week I'm going to take my transport manager test then get some money behind me then il be off to efi 101 hopefully in december or early January, maybe before :)