TEMS or Coilovers

tommrs

Member +
which is the better of the two? maybe some cheap - mid range coillies! to the toyota tems system?! under the impression its love or hate with tems?! personally they were awesome with stock power but now gone forged td04l and looking for 300+ and want opions on whether to scrap the tems or not! anyone interested in any partxchange?
cheers

dac69er

Super Moderator
tems are just electronically adjustable dampers. go with coilovers. tems is cool for the retro-ness of it, but its oldskool and probably barely works anymore in most cases

tommrs

Member +
mine definitly do work! go from soft as shit to rock solid! probably not in best visual condition but they do work! what coillies would you recommend?
cheers

dac69er

Super Moderator
value for money i would go with meister r's. my personal favourite are tien super streets, but they arent as adjustable and dont go so low. cost more too

tommrs

Member +
been looking at those! probably hang on till theres a set on here for sale now anyway! cheers though

dac69er

Super Moderator
i would be very careful buying used coilovers. you never know how they have been treated, unless they are off me and they will be hardly used ;)

dac69er

Super Moderator
no mate sorry. going to buy another set of miesters for my runabout GT when the current dampers give up.

tommrs

Member +
haha okay mate! well the meister zeta r are £720 from what i see! are these good on your ep82? someone has a set of cuscos for 450euro
are those any good?

dac69er

Super Moderator
cuscos are good. but they are second hand at the end of the day. they will probably be rock hard on the road. the meisters are very good on the road.

i have them on my ep85 so they are the custom special ones, but i was impressed with them. but as i said, i personally prefer the tein superstreets as they suit the roads round my way better, but they cost even more!!!!

Ryan5793

Member +
TEMS will be worth something im sure, isnt it a rare option?

i bought used coilovers and ended up buying a new set of tein's as they were seized so as said be carful if buying used ;)

tommrs

Member +
cheers mate! you dont have the seized ones still do you? found some 6week old meisters on ebay for £555 look perfect!

MeisterR

Lifer
haha okay mate! well the meister zeta r are £720 from what i see! are these good on your ep82? someone has a set of cuscos for 450euro
are those any good?

I think the Toyota GT Turbo Discount is still active, I set the date to be the 15th so there is £100 off RRP still.
This makes the coilovers at £629, and of course brand new out of the box with a warranty. ;)

cuscos are good. but they are second hand at the end of the day. they will probably be rock hard on the road. the meisters are very good on the road.

i have them on my ep85 so they are the custom special ones, but i was impressed with them. but as i said, i personally prefer the tein superstreets as they suit the roads round my way better, but they cost even more!!!!

Does SuperStreet have an EP85 application?
One of there reason the suspension does not ride as nice on the EP85 vs the EP82/EP91 is because we were limited to a 5kg/mm springs in the rear coilovers on the EP85; mainly because of the short standard damper length.

However, I may have something for you now.
I had a batch of shorter springs coiled up that can help out the rear on the EP85 coilovers.
Originally design for the R53 Mini Cooper, but it will work in the EP85... I already change all the specs of my current EP85 coilovers so it could be interesting for you also.

They are 4kg/mm springs, but shorter to fit into the EP85 rear damper setup.
Let me know if you are interested, I'll sort something out for you. ;)

sx_turbo

Lifer
i like the idea of keeping the tems, when put with a qaulity set of lowered springs i reckon these will be much better than coilovers for the road,

i have been in a starlet with tems and owned a starlet with coilovers and i personally prefered the tems on a road car,

they also cant easily be swapped to another starlet, will have to have all the wiring etc to go with it, also when they break your boloxed as there no longer available :(

tommrs

Member +
had an either mad or genius idea for a project! so in the middle of my building my gt has anyone got any cheap smashed seized or generally screwed coillies? i will inform everyone of progress when its done!