((((The Classic Movie Lovers Thread ))))

gv1.3

Admin
IF YOU LIKE GOOD MOVIES SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD!

Hi all,

following on from another recent thread I wanted to open a thread dedicated to classic movies. I would like to keep this thread organised and informative. The aim of this is for people to share classics with each other that some might never have heard of or considered watching.

I know this will be of limited interest to some as not everyone is a fan of the classics but as this is my thread ( :) ) I want to set some guidelines for anyone who wishes to contribute.

-If someone posts a recommended movie and you have questions or want to comment on that movie please do!

-If you want to recommend a movie please use the template so that we compile a great list of movies that is simple to read and navigate :)

So the template is this

TITLE: name of the movie

IMDB Link: the link to the movie on IMDB

Director: who directed the movie

Year: the year the movie was made

Comments: your review and comments on the movie

Movie Poster: A picture of the movie poster if you can find one :)

Simple!

Again this might not be of interest to many or might be interesting to all, if you feel like adding to it please do but remember it is a "MOVIE CLASSICS" thread so no Fast & Furious part 15 please.

gv1.3

Admin
Lolita 1962

TITLE: Lolita

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056193/

Director: Stanley Kubrick

Year: 1962

Comments: As this is the first movie I mentioned in the thread that spawned this thread it is only fitting that it is the first movie I recommend. This movie sums up everything that it means to be a great director. Stanley Kubrick tells a very inappropriate story but manages to use the power of suggestion to get this movie past the censors in the year 1962. Even with his clever use of suggestion and powerful imagery the movie still met with backlash from the catholic church who called for the censors to ban it. Luckily some compromises were made and it was released.

Lolita tells the story of a man who arrives in a small town and rents a room from a widowed lady. The lady has a teenage daughter, Lolita, who the man soon begins to take an interest in unknown to the window who has taken an interest in him. The widow eventually begins a relationship with the man and in order to remain living at the house he marries her making Lolita his step daughter.

The widow begins to sense something is not right and sends Lolita away to a summer camp and then plans to send her to a boarding school. When the man learns of this he begins to consider killing his new wife to allow Lolita return home. The story sees the man go on the run with his step daughter and although you at no point see any inappropriate interaction between them it is obvious to the viewer that something is going on - Enter Peter Sellers! A mysterious weirdo meets the man and his step daughter and just like the viewer he senses something is not right. Throughout the movie he follows them and is also lured to Lolita but with very obviously dark intentions.

This movie is one of the most cleverly directed films ever produced in my opinion and the opening scenes are actually the end of the film, a trick used commonly today but in 1962 it was a rarely used tactic to drag the audience in to the story.

In 1997 the move was remade by director Adrian Lyne. I can only assume they thought "lets make an updated version because in 1997 we can get away with showing everything". The problem is that what made the original Lolita an amazing movie is what you did not see and the remake is just a sleazy attempt at telling the full story and in my opinion should never have been made.

This film is an amazing piece of work and I dont think any DVD collection is complete without it. Watch it and enjoy!

Lolita.jpg

Derek

Lifer
TITLE: Kelly's heroes

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065938/

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2F4E4913C68734D6&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&v=beAQVm1j56w

Director: Brian G Hutton

Year: 1970

Comments:
Kelly's Heroes is an offbeat 1970 war film about a group of World War II soldiers who go AWOL to rob a bank behind enemy lines. Directed by Brian G. Hutton, who also directed the 1968 World War II drama Where Eagles Dare, the film stars Clint Eastwood, Donald Sutherland, Telly Savalas, Don Rickles, and Carroll O'Connor, with lesser roles played by Harry Dean Stanton, Gavin MacLeod, and Stuart Margolin. The screenplay was written by British film and television writer Troy Kennedy Martin.
In World War II France, Kelly (Clint Eastwood), a former lieutenant demoted to private as a scapegoat, captures a German colonel in Intelligence. Kelly's superior, Master Sergeant "Big Joe" (Telly Savalas), only wants to know the locations of recreational facilities in the town of Nancy that his unit can enjoy when they get there, but when Kelly notices his prisoner has a gold bar, he gets him drunk to try to get information. Before he is killed by an attacking German tank, the drunken prisoner of war blurts out an interesting tidbit: There is a cache of 14,000 gold bars (valued at $16 million) stored in a bank vault 30 miles behind enemy lines in the town of Clermont. Kelly recruits the rest of his platoon, including skeptical Big Joe, to sneak off and steal it. Eventually, others have to be recruited (or invite themselves) into the scheme, such as an opportunistic supply sergeant "Crapgame" (Don Rickles); a proto-hippie Sherman tank commander, "Oddball" (Donald Sutherland); and a number of stereotypical G.I.s presented as competent, but war-weary veterans. The obvious antagonists are the Germans. However, it quickly becomes clear that the motley band's own officers are just as much an obstacle, if not more so; the company's own commanding officer, Captain Maitland (Hal Buckley), cares more about turning the campaign into a personal shopping spree than for the actual welfare of his men. A large amount of equipment hoarded for the mission is lost when an American plane mistakes the vehicles parked in a forest as German. Luckily the team is spared from going on foot as Oddball shows up at the rally point with his three Shermans and a full bridge building platoon. When intercepted radio messages of the unauthorized private enterprise raid are brought to the attention of gung-ho American Major General Colt (O'Connor), he misinterprets them as communications between patriotic soldiers pushing forward and rushes to the front line to exploit the "breakthrough". Meanwhile, the band crosses a bridge but loses two of their three Shermans and the German shelling of the bridge itself damages it enough that no vehicle can go any further except Oddball's Sherman (which already crossed); the team takes advantage of this by leaving the building crew behind in order to gain a larger share. Kelly's men race to reach the French town before their own army. There, they find it defended by three formidable Tiger tanks with infantry support. The Americans are able to handle all but one Tiger, which camps down in front of the bank itself (of the other two, one was ambushed at the start of the skirmish while the other was lured into a dead-end and shot from behind). Powerless to defeat the armored behemoth, with both tanks damaged and the Sherman being immobilized, Kelly, Oddball and Big Joe gain the German tank commander's (Karl-Otto Alberty) assistance by offering him and his crew a share of the loot. They divide up the gold ($875,000 per share or approximately $10.5 million in adjusted 2008 dollars, not counting the amount already taken by Oddball's crew and the Germans) and go their separate ways, just in time to avoid meeting the still-clueless Colt (who is mistaken by the townspeople for Charles de Gaulle). Maitland himself enters the bank to find a less-than-respectful message left for him, while his men, the self-serving heroes of the hour, make their escape (it is implied that Oddball spent part of his share to buy the Tiger, even though it's fuel line was ruptured).
Buy it and watch its epic. Great movie.

kellys_heroes_dvd.jpg

gv1.3

Admin
absolutely love Kellys Heroes but to be honest I am a huge Clint Eastwood fan. I see that director also directed Where Eagles dare. That has to be one of my fav war movies of all time - a total classic!

Guye

Lifer
TITLE: Zatoichi Monogatari

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056714/

Director: Kengi Misumi

Year: 1962

Comments: I am not very good at this review writing stuff, but I'll try. This movie was the spark that touched of one of Japan's longest running series of movies and TV episodes. Done in black and white it tells the story of the blind traveling masseur, Boroichi, better known as zatoichi. Set in the Edo period the movie and by extension the entire series offers a window into the way of life of the peasantry and the yakuza families that often preyed on them.

Additional info taken from Wikipedia: "Zatoichi at first appears to be a harmless blind anma ("masseur") who wanders around the country, making his living by gambling as well as giving massages, performing acupuncture, singing and playing music; however, he is also highly-skilled in swordsmanship, specifically iaido and is equally skilled in the general sword skills of Japan, as well as Sumo wrestling.
He does not carry a traditional katana, instead using a well-made shikomi-zue (cane sword), as blades were outlawed in the Edo period. Shikomi-tzue were generally straight-edged, lower-quality blades which could not compare with regular katana, but as revealed in Zatoichi's Cane Sword, his weapon is superior as it was forged by a master bladesmith.
A recurring theme of the films and television series is Zatoichi protecting the innocent from oppressive or warring yakuza gangs, and investigating/stopping general injustice. His fighting skill is incredible, with his sword-grip in inverse manner; this, combined with his keen ear and sense of smell and proprioception, renders him a frightening opponent."

I have found all the old Zatoichi films and TV episodes that I've managed to watch so far to be totally enjoyable and they have heightened my interest in Japanese language, culture and history. I'll use this thread to pay homage to the film that started it all. I guess I am just a fan but I am certain if you watch this, you will be too.

Movie Poster:
poster.jpg

Last edited:

Gryzor

Admin
Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063350/

Directed by: George A. Romero

Comments: There's not much that can be said about this movie that hasn't already been said the mountains of papers, reviews and re-makes of this movie speak volumes for its importance to the horror genre. This is one of the oldest horror flicks to give me that feeling of uneasy and goose bumps.
Night of the Living Dead is the quintessential "zombie" movie, umm,umm,umm

Movie Poster:
Night_of_the_Living_Dead_affiche.jpg

Watch the movie here its free and legal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Living_Dead

GT_Irl

Member +
absolutely love Kellys Heroes but to be honest I am a huge Clint Eastwood fan. I see that director also directed Where Eagles dare. That has to be one of my fav war movies of all time - a total classic!

x2! Seen both at least 10 times, would watch tham again in a heartbeat!

gv1.3

Admin
Zatoichi - what an excellent movie, I had totally forgotten all about it! Thanks Guye.
Night of the living dead - puts all other zombie films to shame! "they're coming to get you Barbara"

gv1.3

Admin
Five Easy Pieces (1970)

Title: Five Easy Pieces

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065724/

Director: Bob Rafelson

Year: 1970

Comments: To try to explain what this movie is actually about would be impossible. I always say "its not really about anything" which kind of puts people off but in reality the subtleties of the character played by Jack Nicholson and his inability to commit to anything are what make it excellent.

The movie opens with Bobby (Jack Nicholson) working on oil wells but you can tell from the outset there is something a little bit different about him. He is living with a woman who is emotionally unstable and whom you always feel he is just about to leave. He learns that his father is ill and decides to go home for the first time in three years.

The trip home brings him to a remote island where his highly musical family frown upon his rambling ways and abandonment of his career as a professional pianist. As the story unfolds he does some things he shouldnt do culminating in one of the best endings in a movie I have ever seen - its not what you will expect and may be a bit of a let down but it does close the film out so well.

This is an absolute classic made at one of the best times in movie history in my opinion. If you have never seen Jack Nicholson in anything except horror movies then this is the one to start with.

five_easy_pieces.jpg

gv1.3

Admin
Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Title: Midnight Cowboy

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064665/

Director: John Schlesinger

Year: 1969

Comments: My Favorite movie of all time bar none! To say this is in my top ten would be an understatement it is number 1 every time. This film has it all, great acting, superb directing, excellent locations, brilliant music and a terrific story.

The character Joe Buck (John Voight) is a small town resident who has had a troubled upbringing and wants to break free from it all following a traumatic event which is fed to you through flashback sequences throughout the movie along with quick snippets of what his upbringing was like. Do not think this movie pulls any punches it was given an X rating when it was first released and to this day remains the only film with an X rating to win the oscar for best picture! There are many implied child abuse flashbacks which never actually show abuse but give an eerily bleak feeling every time you see Joe as a little boy with his man hungry grandmother!

Having bought what is essentially a cowboy costume Joe boards a bus and takes a long journey to New York City where he plans on satisfying the lusty rich older women he believes live there. When he gets there he realises that the big city is not at all what he expected. The reality hits him hard and fast from people stepping over a body lying on the street to a woman chatting him up in a bar who turns out to be a bloke.

Within hours of arriving in the city he has been ripped off and his money is depleting at a rapid rate soon to be totally broke. The cruel reality hits him, the only men wearing cowboy outfits are male prostitutes in the redlight areas - his image is not the tough cowboy from the West he thought it would be.

Forced to forgive the man who robbed him in exchange for somewhere to live he begins to try to hustle money where he can and ultimately finds himself doing things he never believed he would.

This movie is amazing and never ceases to entertain every time I watch it. It is a masterpiece.

midnight20cowboy.jpg

Johnny_B

Member +
TITLE: The King of Kong

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/

Director: Seth Gordon

Year: 2007

Comments: In the early 1980s, legendary Billy Mitchell set a Donkey Kong record that stood for almost 25 years. This documentary follows the assault on the record by Steve Wiebe, an earnest teacher from Washington who took up the game while unemployed.

Whilst this is not a classic in the strictest sense it is a great documentary set around a CLASSIC arcade game.lol. It's a classic underdog story that is brilliantly depicted, and is hilarious at times. There are some true characters and great one-liners in this documentary, I urge any of you to see it, even if your not a fan of computer games!

Movie Poster:

Last edited:

Johnny_B

Member +
TITLE: Battleship Potemkin

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0015648/

Director: Sergie Eisentstein

Year: 1925

Comments: A classic of revolutionary cinema, Battleship Potemkin demonstrates cinematic virtuosity of its director, Sergei Eisenstein

The most renowned section of the film is the masterfully edited "The Odessa Staircase." The townspeople are on the town steps cheering the sailors when Czarist troops appear at the top and start shooting the unarmed populace. Rather than tell the story in an epic manner, Eisenstein individualizes the massacre with close-ups and medium shots, including the ironic juxtaposition of a baby carriage rolling down the steps amid the carnage.

Whilst this isn't as much of an emotional rollercoaster or entertaining as Papillon (below) it is an important film to watch if you have an interest in the history of filmmaking. Having said that, it is still a surprisingly entertaining watch and holds up very well considering its age.

Movie Poster:

Last edited:

Johnny_B

Member +
TITLE: Papillon

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070511/

Director: Franklin J. Schaffner

Year: 1973

Comments:The greatest adventure of escape ever filmed! IMO the performances by McQueen and Hoffman are out of this world! Truely great story that is depicted, the film is 21/2 hours long, try not to let that discourage you from seeing this film, it's well worth your time!

Plot:A man befriends a fellow criminal as the two of them begin serving their sentence on a dreadful prison island, which inspires the man to plot his escape.

Movie Poster:
Papillon_film.jpg

gv1.3

Admin
^^ what a classic film! Its an amazing story made from an amazing book. This is one of those films that never gets old.

gv1.3

Admin
Badlands (1973)

Title: Badlands

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069762/

Director: Terrence Malick

Year: 1973

Comments: This film features Martin Sheen as a James Dean wannabe who is on the fringe of society when he suddenly meets a girl and falls for her in a bad way. He approaches her father for his approval on their relationship but her father is having none of it.

Soon he gets desperate, a murder occurs and he and the girl go on the run killing and stealing as they go. The main character is very trigger happy and seems to think he is in some sort of wild west fairytale with a blatant disregard for the law and little or not value on human life which leaves you feeling very uneasy - you like him but the things he does make you not want to like him.

The choice of music in this film is excellent and the locations used work extremely well. The main inspiration for this story supposedly comes from the killing of a Kansas family which has since been depicted in the Oscar winning movie "Capote".

This is an easy movie to watch and entertains from start to finish.

Badlands_US1.jpg

gv1.3

Admin
The Beguiled (1971)

Title: The Beguiled

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066819/

Director: Don Siegel

Year: 1971

Comments: Another classic Clint movie! Set in civil war era America a solider is injured and is taken in by a lady who owns a finishing school for girls. The man starved women all soon fall for Clint and he tries to have his way with all of them much to the upset of the lady of the house who exacts her revenge in one of cinemas all time messed up scenes! You have to watch it :)

Dont let the old skool picture put you off.... this is a great film and is pretty messed up!

user1367_1175075436.jpg

gv1.3

Admin
Play Misty For Me (1971)

Title: Play Misty For Me

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067588/

Director: Clint Eastwood

Year: 1971

Comments:Clint Eastwoods directorial debut and what a debut it was. The original psycho lunatic bunny boiler!! This film is set in super cool San Francisco with Clint Eastwood playing the part of Dave the late night radio DJ. A woman calls every night and asks him to "Play Misty For Me" .... he meets a woman in a bar after work and ends up taking her home only to find out it is the caller.

He begins a relationship with her and then decides the better of it but she has other ideas - this movie will make you think twice before hooking up with easy ladies :)

41ljZVJFrRL.jpg

gv1.3

Admin
Deliverance (1972)

TITLE: Deliverance

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068473/

Director: John Boorman

Year: 1972

Comments: This movie has an impact on whoever watches it. It is one of those pieces of cinema that makes you think "thank god it wasnt me". You will all probably know the story of deliverance but it is more than the "squeal boy" scene. Four men set out on a canoe trip down a river which runs through a valley that is about to be flooded by a power company who are building a dam. They decide to take the last chance to go and experience the river.
Having to drive deep in to the Georgia mountains they come in contact with some mountain men who agree to drive their cars down to a town which they plan using theirs canoes to get to.

The men camp out on the first night and you can tell they have a real feeling of isolation and vulnerability. The next day that feeling of vulnerability is proven to be well founded when suddenly they come back in contact with some mountain men who are not particularly friendly and the movie takes off from there.

This story is so scary because it could happen to anyone!

deliverance.jpg