The 'What is?' thread

Jay

Admin
Right, it's time to answer a few basic questions for newbies.

If anyone is feeling bored (or just plain helpful) pick one and give a detailed description of it:

- What is a Dump valve?

Franza answers:

A dump valve is a pressure activated valve that releases excess air either into the atmosphere or back into the intake side of the turbo to try and prevent the turbo from stalling during the time the intake manifold is closed, there are many types it's usually down to personal preference in sound, manufacturing quality and efficiency.

Discussion here

- What is a Turbo Timer?

Hutch answers:

A turbo timer is a handy little device that keeps the engine running after the keys are taken out of the ignition. It does this to allow the turbo to cool down sufficiently after hard driving helping your turbo live a long and healthy life.

Discussion here

- What is an Actuator?

Franza answers:

An actuator is a pneumatically controlled solenoid which controls the internal opening and closing waste-gate flap in relation to the turbo output pressure (boost).

There are a few types of actuators:

Adjustable actuators

Adjustable actuators such as the HKS actuator control boost by the same means as a standard non adjustable actuator but the point at which it opens can be adjusted by means of lengthening and shortening the arm that connects the actuator to the wastegate flap.

Non-Adjustable Actuators

Non adjustable actuators are either standard OEM ones or uprated ones that cannot be adjusted ( have fixed length arms ), Like the standard Toyota one or the Jam unit, these units are usually set in the factory to a specific pressure to open.

- What is a bleed valve?

Franza answers:

Bleed valves are little more complicated as a tap. They are an analogue device by which you control/restrict the amount of pressure going to the actuator itself, this means that the pressure required to move the actuator is increased because first of all the pressure has to over come the bleed valve the open the actuator. You have to preset these as they are usually situated in the engine bay and they can be highly inaccurate at times.

- What is an electronic boost controller?

These control the boost via an electronically controlled solenoid (on/off valve). The solenoid is placed in line between the actuator and inlet manifold. It is controlled by an electronic component usually situated in the cockpit, which has which displays and allows you to control the point at which the solenoid is allowed to open. You select the boost pressure that the actuator opens the internal or external waste gate at, thus controlling boost. Electronic boost controllers usually have additional features, like mapping features and access to other useful information such as boost pressure and oil pressure but not all do.

- What is a Fuel cut defender?

Thefalls answers:

The HKS [since most of us use this one] FCD is an electronic device developed to properly raise the factory fuel cut level on factory turbocharged vehicles. As modifications are made to optimize engine performance, the factory fuel cut is often triggered by higher boost levels which activate a fuel delivery cut-off as a failsafe procedure. Symptoms of fuel cut are hesitation, bogging, and/or illumination of diagnostic indicators.

The electronic signal from the FCD will raise the fuel cut level to accommodate for the additional boost without triggering fuel cut and/or an engine diagnostic light. The FCD installation is designed to be easily integrated with the VPC/F-CON or factory ECU harness.

Warning: Due to the characteristics of this product, higher than recommended or unsafe boost levels may be attained by the installation and use of the FCD. This may result in severe damage to the vehicles engine or other mechanical parts.A fuel delivery upgrade is suggested and consulting a trained technician before the purchase and use of the FCD.

- What is a fuel regulator?

Gtti answers:

An item in the fuel line that dictates the pressure at which injectors recieve fuel. Just remember different injectors have different nozzles and therefore different spray patterns. Regardless of capacity spray patterns can be different at an equal fuel pressure.

That should do for now. Just looking some help with educating the fresher members!

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Jay

Admin
End of round one!

Thanks for all the opinions lads, I've complied them into a usable format at the top of the page. I know it's hard but if everyone could stay on track it would make things much easier.

Okay, I'm going to decide on a few more questions.

In the meantime I'll open a discussion on the above. That's where you can all discuss things in detail. Please offer pictures, experiences and backup info where possible. At the end we can get a definitive guide to each. If things go smoothly.

Thanks again,

Jay

Monkfish

Member +
Wouldn't a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section be simpler and cleaner rather than stickies at the top of every forum? ;)

Jay

Admin
Wouldn't a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section be simpler and cleaner rather than stickies at the top of every forum? ;)

That's what I'm paving the way for.

No point in having frequently asked questions without frequently given answers little one..:p

Dave.

Member +
officially I'm sure it was a 5w30 or 10w30, although most folk have switched to a 10w40.

Personally, I use a mobil 1 0w40 and stand by it 100% it provides excellent cold start protection and being a fully synthetic oil, it will keep the engine internals relatively clean too!

As for filters, any decent one will do, as anyone who knows what they're talking about will tell you, its not about the price of the oil and filter, but the frequency of the changes that's most important! As long as you use a suitable grade of course

Dave

clys

Member +
Alright, I live in Alberta, Canada. Will a local toyota dealer be able to supply my filter, or will I have to pay toytunings outlandish prices?

Dave.

Member +
Can't see why they wouldnt, its a generic oil filter tho, and any decent parts co will sort you out. Its common to many toyotas :)

Might be worth giving speedvision inn here a shout tho, he does a lot of parts and really knows his stuff! Plus, he's on the states which is a lot closer to you.

If I wasn't on the net only on my iPod lol I'd dig you out the toyota part number for a filter, which would save you the hassle of the parts desk, mobbe someone else will cut in, if not I'll dig that out for you when I'm at homelater this week ;)

Dave

clys

Member +
As you know, that would be greatly appreciated. Just waiting for my Turbo Firefly to sell, then I'll be moving on to a pretty nice example of one of these babies!

Dave.

Member +
Not a problem mate, its what the owners club is all about :) I'm sure you'll love it, I've had two now, and each one longer that any car previously LOL, everyone is the same on here!

Good luck with he sale, hope you get a good gt mate ;)

Dave

clys

Member +
Thank you very much, it's in nice shape with only 92XXXkm's, not miles, and it's got TRD coild with 16" rota GT3's. TRD short shifter is being thrown in too, I'm real excited.

tango

Fresh Recruit
something i think is important to remember regarding rolling road /bhp figures:

bhp = (rpm x torque)/5252

which in laymans terms means power is directly affected by torque. forget outright power figures, its an engine that has the biggest area under the torque curve is the one that will be easiest to drive and ultimately quicker.

sorry if this is irelevant, its just this topic came up with a friend recently!