thermostat differences

flip

Member +
what the difference with the stock thermostat and the aftermarket ones , do that just open at different temperatures , i think the stock one opens at 87%,

steo800

Member +
stock thermo, on a glanza anyway, opens at 82 DEGREES C

aftermarket(sard, trd etc.) ones open at lower temps and will allow more flow at the same temps(as they are open more) as stock thermostat

the effect this has is-
-engine takes longer to warm up to optimum temp, especially in these cold winter months
-can lead to the car running at a lower temp than the manufacturer intended, resulting in higher engine wear

i have a trd stat in my car and will be getting a stock one soon as it takes ages to warm up

flip

Member +
just read this of trd website

By reducing the valve temperature by about 10 to 15°C compared with that of a standard thermostat, the TRD sports thermostat increases coolant circulation and reduces performance bottlenecks caused by engine heat, to bring out the best in engine performance. (Maintains valve temperature of 71°C.)

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Standard thermostat is 82deg's

Ive just fitted a Sard 68deg's thermostat it does make a nice difference, keeps the temp down in the 70's with a civic radiator on.

weeJohn

Lifer
I would think low oil temp is more of a cause of engine wear. The lower temp stats will delay the oil temp rise, but the oil is going to get to 60 or 70 degrees pretty soon.

It will run a bit richer at lower coolant temps.

Not sure if it helps with overheating, I removed mine once and it still overheated.

Dave.

Member +
i've a SARD thermostat, and to say it takes longer to heat up is rubbish lol, it stays shut until whatever temp is reached then it opens and flows, doesnt take any longer to heat up at all :p

if you'r TRD one takes ages, i'd be looking at replacing it, i'd guess there is something not quite right...

Dave

steo800

Member +
your thermostat is shut and open once it has reached the temp it was designed for, this will be usually be on the stamped on thermostat.

once it opens, the cooling system will become fully functional.

if it opens at a lower temp, it will take longer to heat up to the manufacturers intened temp.
so thats the technical bit, heres my first hand experience-

when i had heatings problem with my own car i changed to the trd stat and it delayed it overheating.

i had thermostat setups and each one caused the results i expected.

1.the first was the stat that was in the car from japan which the engine overheated with

2.the second was a new oem stat from toyota, which opened bit later than the stock one(tested in a bowl of boiling water) and resulted in the engine overheating quicker than the first stat i had.

3.the third was a trd stat, 72degrees c, which opened first of the three stats(bowl) and also made the engine take longer of the three to overheat

4.as i decided i wouldnt use the oem stat, i cut the middle out and just used it to keep the seal on the housing.this took the longest, by far, of the 4 for my engine to overheat

in terms of how i measured when the engine overheated, well i drive the same route to work and take roughly the same amount of time everyday, give or take a few minutes, so it was obvious to me which stat took the longer amount of time for the engine to overheat.

so yes, it does take longer to heat up, i experienced it first hand

Dave.

Member +
lol i think you and me have the same opinion in this actually...

You say "it will take longer to heat up to the manufacturers intened temp" Thats obvious as the thermo opens at a lower temperature... In my car it never hits the manufacturers intended temp, as when it his 68, the thermostat opens and when it hits about 75-80 and fan cuts in (i've a HKS fan controller - i've never seen over 81 degrees on it - and thats sitting in traffic for ages, well below the halfway mark on dashboard temp guage)

Having a low temp thermostat is obviously going to cause the car to take longer to heat the car up to manufacturer temp, but thats what its meant to do (to be honest, if set up like mine it should never reach it lol) :-/

I thought you were saying it took ages to heat up at all (while my car takes forever to get to manufacturers temp, it gets to 68 degrees in exactly the same time)... which would imply the thermostat was blocked open or always open (like the OEM one you cut the middle out of) :)

Just a slight misunderstanding i guess :)

Dave

Last edited:

GTti

Member +
Well when you next change the coolant, stick it a pan of water heat it up and see when it fully opens.

My engine temperature is all over the place, usually because I'm always using the heater matrix.

steo800

Member +
yup just a misunderstanding.

you must be freezing in your car at the moment:p

i dont get any decent heat from the heating until about 80 degrees upwards, ill even let it up to 87 so i can get some good heat into the car

Dave.

Member +
lol! :D

to be honest, my cars roasting, unlike my old gt that had a blockage in the matrix! Maybe i'm just used to no heat and even a little is great ;) lol

Chachito

Member +
Ok guys since you guys live in a cold place can't tell really what I need.

What the most mechanics do here on Curacao is they take the thermo out.

Is this good or bad? Even if it's a hot island ok not really hot but lets say tropical?