Thermostat Housing sensors, Help identify !

STARLET N/A

Member +
Could someone please tell me what these sensors are called?

DSC00037-1.gif

thanks
:)

STARLET N/A

Member +
thanks mate,

i have had a look but i dont know which one is which???

the thread highlights that their are:

water temp (dash gauge)
water temp (air con)
water temp (for idle up control)

all i know that these are the sensors that are in the housing.

STARLET N/A

Member +
okay after doing a bit of research i have found

number (1) : green one, coolant temperature sensor. two wires, green and brown. brown is ground? and green goes to ecu?
number (4) : this is the dash gauge sensor, goes to the back on dial cluster

so number (3) and (2) i dont know what they are. i would like to know what the red one, number (3) is. does anyone know????

dark_knight

Member +
alien sensor

that red sensor does not look stock. proli an after-market one. have you looked at/on the sensor itself for any leading markings that may further hint what it is..?
did it come with the car..?
is/was it wired in..?

weeJohn

Lifer
Sensors 2 and 3 are for the a/c system, dont know what their use is in the system but thats what they are for. Sensor 1 is the ecu coolant sensor, THW is its abbreviation I think and sensor 4 is the temp gauge sensor.

Sensor 2 is a good place to fit an aftermarket water temp gauge sensor if the a/c is removed.

Last edited:

STARLET N/A

Member +
thanks for clearing that up for me guys,

much appreciated

the coolant sensor is a two pin plug. One wire goes to the ECU as the temperature signal (THW). the other is a brown wire, which is a sensor ground and link to ECU at (E2).

what happens if the sensor is not grounded? my temperature sensor is single pin from 4EFE ep91 and not grounded!

will this have any affect on the running of my car?

Last edited:

Rev

Member +
i've beeen told there is a ( Auto Only? ) Water Temperature sensor for gearbox this may also explain an extra sensor.

STARLET N/A

Member +
does the coolant sensor ground matter? i have a n/a thermo sensor on a 4efte which has no sensor ground wire, its got just the ecu signal wire