This is what happens when a 16 liter 540bhp volvo drops a valve! my project last nigh

Rob H

Member +
well got to work last night and was given this job to do it was drove in noisy and with with a miss fire! this is what I found lol
2a5bd9a5.jpg

2d88b6c3.jpg

0b63d77f.jpg

I wonder if they would fit the starlet crank lol!!

890aeefe.jpg
e7513c0e.jpg

e2cd8a1c.jpg

just have to pop it back together when the bits come!

Rob H

Member +
lol I work for volvo trucks there is one bigger than this but its still a 16l but 700bhp they were if not still the most powerful production truck in the world! the renault magnum has a engine which could mach it if not beat it but volvo own renault trucks so they wont make a renault truck thats better than there own! they also own MACK trucks in the usa

O it has 2323 lbft of torque too!!!

Last edited:

Rob H

Member +
them things shift when there fully loaded and the only get full power when they are loaded saves on fuel! we used to do an older one for a customer that had been chipped and that was running a proven 900+ bhp this place has a rolling road just for trucks! http://www.feather-diesel.co.uk/

gv1.3

Admin
thanks for sharing, love getting to see stuff like this :)

I remember driving through the rocky mountains and sharing the roads with huge trucks chugging their way up the very steep roads. When we got over the top and were driving down the other side there was a smell of cooking brakes and smoke pouring from most trucks we passed. There were "runaway truck ramps" everywhere in case a trucks brakes failed they had a place to ditch it safely.

_iforget_glanza

Untrusted Seller
i think some trucks have compression brakes?where they use the engines compression to slow them down?any one kno anything about this aswell?:)

gv1.3

Admin
i think some trucks have compression brakes?where they use the engines compression to slow them down?any one kno anything about this aswell?:)

I saw signs, on that mountain I mentioned in my post above, that said "apply engine break now" - I wondered what that was too.

Rob H

Member +
Yep they have what's called a VEB (Volvo engine brake) it works on the exhaust valves basically it holds the valves closed so the back presure slows you down it's all run off the engine oil presure in the rocka shaft there are 2 rockas for the valves 1 that works the injector and the other is for the VEB its not that clear in the pick but the VEB rocka works on the exhaust one.
ee3e33c4.jpg

Rob H

Member +
I did not do an apprenticeship I did 2 years at collage but my main advantage is my dad has always had a garage and it's next door to the house so it's more down to experience than anything I was building V8 engines at 14 and I am 30 now!