Threw a rod today...

fred

Member +
Rod decided it had had enough today. Boosting in 2nd gear and pop, boom oil...

Car is running 1 bar
HKS actuator
SARD FPR
FCD
zisco mani
decat
full exhaust
toy tuning air filter

Was running 3.3 bar of fuel pressure at idle.

Car would still hit the fuel cut and spike to 17 psi, hadnt got round to turning it down and now I have paid the price it would appear.

Slamming into the fuelcut and overboosting enough to shag a rod?

Also my wastage is cracked but not ported, I think this needs to be ported on the new engine to help combat creep.

Photo shows what I picked up off the road. The little end is ovalised and the other bits are peices of block.

I need to get the car home from uni then i can dismantle it and examine what else is damaged.

photo3-2.jpg

fred

Member +
Hadnt got round to it getting on the rollers but AFR's wont cause a rod to fail like that...

TO82

Member +
Where you bouncing off the limiter in second at the time :haha:

Only joking mate, Looks nasty :(

fred

Member +
I wouldnt expect det to kill the rod though? that would do in the piston..

Unless thepiston is fucked and the rod is just the after effect?

TO82

Member +
I wouldnt expect det to kill the rod though? that would do in the piston..

Unless thepiston is fucked and the rod is just the after effect?

Detination would effect both mate, but especially the rod as the Mixture is exploding and trying to forcing the rod back the wrong way!

Last edited:

Killamats

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.toyotagtturb
that looks bad man. you were running much more than enough fuel (as on rrfpr), but the fact you were hitting fuel cut with the fcd must have caused the major damage. the fcd wasnt working properly and ecu falsely delivered an a/f mixture at one point along the power curve.

fred

Member +
It wouldnt hit the fuel cut unless it was full loaded in 3rd or above really and it was deffo spiking past 15 up to 17... so if it wasnt spiking i would have never hit the fuel cut.

This is why I think that it was the creep that started it then the fuel cut making it worse? Will be interesting to see the top of the pistons when I take the head off.

Gilly2006

Member +
but if you have a FCD correctly fitted you shouldn't be hitting fuel cut..... thats if its working properly.
what number was the fcd set at??

_GAZ_EP85_

Member +
i no it's harsh and a horrible thing to happen, BUT it show's that you can't just go turning the fuel pressure and boost up and expect it to last, only cost 30-40 quid to get a few dyno runs to check the fueling out

KrissyB

Member +
i no it's harsh and a horrible thing to happen, BUT it show's that you can't just go turning the fuel pressure and boost up and expect it to last, only cost 30-40 quid to get a few dyno runs to check the fueling out

OUCH not good matey. Looked nasty get a forgie and get it dynoed this time

fred

Member +
FCD was set to 4 so that it wouldnt hit it at 15 psi.

Yeah i hear the message, nothing like hein sight to slap you in the face :(

KrissyB

Member +
FCD was set to 4 so that it wouldnt hit it at 15 psi.

Yeah i hear the message, nothing like hein sight to slap you in the face :(

I would have done the same and did for a while but it didnt happen to me luckily