timing diagram without using a timing gun

Timing gun is only used for setting up your ignition timing. Your talking about Static cam timing.

If your ignition timing is perfect to start with and you don't move the distributor then it will be fine when you refit the head. Although i do always advise to check it atleast but if you don't have the gun then you don't have the gun lol

With cam timing. doesn't matter what position it is all in when you take it off. But when you refit. Make sure the bottom pulley is at 0 on the notches of the plastic cambelt cover. And the cam there will be a Mark 4E on the cam sprocket. There is a small hole, this will line up with a small hole on the head casting. To check i usually make sure i can slide a bit of welding wire through the sprocket into that hole. Set the tensioner, Turn it over by hand a few rotations and make sure the crank comes back to 0 and the cam little holes line up still. if they do your all finished.

Dead simple :)

Tim :)

peter88

Member +
Great mate had a look and lined it all up as a practice run just to see what you mean. Appreciate that. Also another question lol, how do you lock the cams off, there is that hole in the cam you put something through, what position do they have to be in in order to do it correctly? Sorry to be a pain lol

AdamB

Member +
The service bolt hole is to pre-tension the cams when removing them, if the bolt is not inserted before removal, they can make a rattll noise once put back in.

yes as adam said. its to lock the spring on the 2nd tensioner gear of the cam. all looks like 1 bit when you look at it but it does do a job lol

Tim
:)