tin top conversion?

cal1

Fresh Recruit
hi

ive tried searching with no avail so ill ask here and hope i havent missed it anywhere.

is it possible or has it been done?

i have a sunroof model 82 but id like to get rid of it by using a non sunroof model roof

now i have a crx at the min while i get my tubby ready and its possible on a crx.

i found a old GL model with a non sunroof and was hoping to chop it off and use what i need to do this.

thank you for any help

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
it is possible. not a DIY job. unless your skilled and have the proper tools. but if thats the case you wouldn't be asking here ;)

i would never do it myself..

Jay

Admin
Source a Canvas Top for handiness..

canvastop2.jpg

cal1

Fresh Recruit
is the actual roof "skin" tacked on or is it a solid 1 piece if you know what i mean

thank you for the replies

dac69er

Super Moderator
most satisfactory way would be to just fill the sunroof hole with a welded in metal sheet. if you can find an old school metal worker they may be able to fill it with a metal filler like lead. with this done it would just need a skim of filler and then a repaint. obviously you would need to get the headlining redone.

or you can chop the roof off half way down each pillar and weld it all on but this is alot of work and not easy to get right.

why not just remove the sunroof and assotiated crap and then just stick in a fixed perspex sunroof instead? what is your reason for not wanting the sunroof

cal1

Fresh Recruit
im having a full cage and i dont like the sunroof getting in the way.

i also see it as a weak part of the shell itself.

thanks

ryan-11

Member +
the best way would either weld a plate in place of the sun roof or buy a new roof skin from toyota (i wouldnt buy a second hand roof) and drill and cut the old roof out and weld the new one in, its not too hard a job if u know what ur doing

dac69er

Super Moderator
i very much doubt you could get a roof skin from toyota, or if you could would be expensive. its all one part with the rear wings as far as i can tell. second hand would be your only bet really.

many bodyshops wouldnt want to touch a job like that so you would end up paying top dollar for it to be done unless you know a dodgy dave who could do it cheap!

it would be cheaper to sell the car and buy a non sunroof one

ryan-11

Member +
im pretty sure u could get one from toyota, ive done a few roof skins in my work, done a few honda civics and a few kias, it doesnt take as long as u would think to fit one and yeah it would prob cost a fair amount of cash.

i would just buy a non sun roof starlet

cal1

Fresh Recruit
buy a new roof skin from toyota (i wouldnt buy a second hand roof) and drill and cut the old roof out and weld the new one in, its not too hard a job if u know what ur doing

exactly what i was planning on doing.

hopefully i can find a new or 2nd hand one knocking around

thanks again

cant really but a non sunroof one thrown too much cash at this one :haha:

dac69er

Super Moderator
If you want it right, then sell your car and buy one without a sunroof.

It'll never be spot on.

agreed. buy one with a blown engine for about £1000 swap all the good bits over to that car then sell the sunroof car for £1000 again and you will be sorted!

cal1

Fresh Recruit
i cant sell what i have.

its had some custom work and its expensive.

so this is the only way round for me if i want rid of the sunroof.

thanks

Sigma

Member +
Well, yes!

If it were mine, and I was determined to rid it, I would have a nice, roof width carbon panel made up to simply cover up the hole :)

It'd look pretty swish thinking about it ;)