Toyota Diagnostic Test

Cornish-Glanza

Member +
For a long time now my car has been, for want of a better phrase, pissing me off!!

Only really notice the problem at low RPM (1 to 2.5k) in any gear, the car just has no power, even if you plant it, the car feels like its being held back - I have a steep hill which is quite narrow so its first gear and quite slow, the car wont even make it up the hill anymore, even with my foot hard down in first gear!!
Read a few topics and could possibly be throttle position sensor? - just wondering if a diag test would pick this kind of problem up?

Cheers
J

Cornish-Glanza

Member +
It is worth a try if you've got money to burn, unfortunately thats not the case for me lol - Don't really wanna waste 50quid if diag tests don't pick up sensor faults....

Cornish-Glanza

Member +
Nah I haven't - I'm electronically challenged :(

So is that home test you can do the same as the one they do at Toyota? (in principal)

The thing is, the engine management light never comes on so does it only throw up a fault if you have had the EM light on?

Texx

Super Moderator
Is the EM light bulb actually working? Does EML light up when you first put the IGN on?

If its working and the EML hasn't come on, its most likely you have a fault the ECU cant detect.
Have you got a boost gauge fitted?
Are you seeing boost when you experience this issue?
Are you seeing boost/performance at higher engine revs?

Cornish-Glanza

Member +
If its working and the EML hasn't come on, its most likely you have a fault the ECU cant detect. - yes the light comes on and the bulb is working.

Have you got a boost gauge fitted? yes, via a defi link system.

Are you seeing boost when you experience this issue? When the problem occurs the boost gauge goes up to 0 (from -0.8) and then wont go any higher until i hit higher revs.

Are you seeing boost/performance at higher engine revs? Yea, goes fine as soon as you get passed the 'hesitation'

Texx

Super Moderator
Have you checked the wastegate, a weak spring can cause slow turbo spool times.

A hill and no boost is going to get you no where!

Cornish-Glanza

Member +
It doesn't feel like its mechanically related to me, you can really feel the car holding back as soon as you drop the revs, if i'm driving at say 30-40 in 5th gear and come to a hill and the revs drop down to say 1800rpm - the car feels like its being pulled backwards and the more throttle you give it, the harder the backwards pull is.....

Just sounds an awful lot like throttle position sensor to me?

Texx

Super Moderator
I'd expect it to throw the light on though if the TPS reading was out of spec.

Is there a tutorial for TPS setup in the resolved section?

Cornish-Glanza

Member +
Yea i did find a nice long instruction manual on here somewhere, but as i say, i'm an absolute noob when it comes to electrics :(

hmmmmm, ok well it looks like I'll have to take it somewhere.
Cheers Texx and wallace!