Track people what brakes are you using???

Elaine

Lifer
I currently have 3G 10g disk with 1144 pads and braided lines on the front completely standard on the back these are good brakes for every day “fast road” driving

But there really not up to it on track or air field days, I am looking for some help and guidance on what sort of set up I should be looking at.

There does seem to be a bit of a gap in the market on these (please correct me if I am wrong) I have been looking at one of Toby’s kits and one of Dave’s kit

http://www.toytuning.com/onlineshop/brakes/toytuningfrontfourpotbigbrakekit - Toy Tuning Front Four Pot Big Brake Kit

http://www.starletgtturbo.co.uk/25.html - 3g/Willwood

Does anyone use these and if so can I have some feed back please

Also what are people doing on the rear?? I can see Toby has said that they have something in the pipe line but when that will be out I am not sure..

Really appreciate people input on this one

E :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
wouldnt worry about the rears elaine. maybe get some braided lines for the rear to reduce brake pipe flex.
they will be fine as long as the rears are in good condition (move freely etc) then you could possibly uprate the pads if you wanted to.

ChrisGT

Member +
How often do you track your car? If its only occasionally I think 4pots is a bit overkill I mean £800!! Eeek!

What exactly do you mean when you say they're not up for it? Fade easily? A lot of big power Starbos use 3G discs and Mintex/EBC pads without a problem, seems strange that you'd need 4 pots lol.

dac69er

Super Moderator
How often do you track your car? If its only occasionally I think 4pots is a bit overkill I mean £800!! Eeek!

What exactly do you mean when you say they're not up for it? Fade easily? A lot of big power Starbos use 3G discs and Mintex/EBC pads without a problem, seems strange that you'd need 4 pots lol.

you could try getting a set of track pads that only work when hot. easy enough to swap pads over at the track just before going out.
fade wont be as bad then as they will perform better at higher temps. try removing the front lights and putting some ducting from there to the brakes to cool them.

lots of cheaper things to try before changing calipers. unless you have money to burn then you could go for it and change the calipers and discs

ChrisGT

Member +
you could try getting a set of track pads that only work when hot. easy enough to swap pads over at the track just before going out.
fade wont be as bad then as they will perform better at higher temps. try removing the front lights and putting some ducting from there to the brakes to cool them.

lots of cheaper things to try before changing calipers. unless you have money to burn then you could go for it and change the calipers and discs

My thoughts exactly! Buy some Yellowstuff pads and whack them in for your trackdays and see how they perform. £65 or £850? :p

Trevor

Member +
Track Brakes

I am running yellowstuff pads good fluid and braided lines on my trackcar.I've only had it out once but the brakes were excellent with no fade at all.it'll be back out again tomorrow for some more fun.Good sticky tyres are essential if you want to get the best out of it.

Rory

Lifer
Daves Willwood setup, with Mintex 1144 pads.
Never faded, but the fluid is needed changed.

Elaine

Lifer

That’s the sort of answer I am looking for thank you, I am not saying I have to have a big brake kit just trying to look at my options…

I am not out on track every weekend but come next year my GT will be out a lot and I personally don’t think that the current set up I have is really up to it.. That’s why I am asking for people thoughts and option on what there using.

The last air filed day I did the brakes to a hammering and I felt it was of the biggest let down of my car. I had a professional instructor drive my GT and he only managed to do 3 laps before he felt that the brakes were not up to it, as I plan on using this track a lot I think taking his advice is a good idea.

track boys? other girls track too! :p

Lol Dan as far as I was a wear none of the other lady owners have been out on track… I wait to be corrected :p

Mike@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.Tuning
Lol Dan as far as I was a wear none of the other lady owners have been out on track… I wait to be corrected :p
I know of one for sure ;)

With regard to brakes, i've seen a set of 3G discs that cracked after being on track, thats only one set though... Know of people running EBC discs/yellowstuff pads and this setup was fine on track with no fade :)

Last edited:

Monkfish

Member +
3G's with Mintex 1144's are more than strong enough for track use, but the 3G's aren't really designed for track by all accounts, so they could crack.

Stock ST185 GT-4 disks and calipers, with Mintex 1144's, is the way forward without spaffing 800 notes on Willwood's or similar.

Jay

Admin
Honestly?

The trackstar is running 12 yearold standard Glanza V front discs with standard pads. The rears are stock UKDM drums.

Guess I'm due an upgrade.

Broomy

Member +
im running Evo brakes!!! muhahaha

but 3g discs and mintex1155 pads... and after bedding in were tiptop on track :) had no issues with the 1144 over heating either :)

Gee

Member +
I did a trackday at Donnington with the 3G/Mintex setup and to be fair it was OK for a few laps!

It was an open pit day so I was out there 9-5!

I did get brake fade after a few laps, but would just cool off and go back out. I would not think 4 POT brakes would be needed unless it is a dedicated track car.

I have some Levin calipers coming over which should be sufficent. They have not turned up yet, so may have to go for anothet setup.