TRD 1.5way LSD

ian

Member +
The 1.5, bought it off ebay a couple of years ago.

Now going to sell up but its not worth my while removing.

goldenvtr

Member +
was that the helical one then, jsut wondering how many people have a mechanical diff... the cluncing of my cusco is annoying

goldenvtr

Member +
this is what is putting me off and iv heard the trd is quieter. going to need an lsd though

Most lsds are perfectly quiet. the mecanical ones have no plate inside jsut cogs, so you would know its where untill you put your foot down round a corner.

from what i've heard.........the trd 1.5 helical is the one to get if u are looking for no noise, easy maintenance and everyday/street use

the mechanical ones use the clutch set up and generally keep noise ad are a bit more aggressive........trd also makes a mechanical one......

so be sure to ask for the type if u want........probably helical

ep_chen

Member +
did read bout the quaife lsd write-up. their tech explanation sounds better then other lsd to me but never had quaiffe experience. anyone here with them?

Adam_Glanza

Member +
wats better, a 1.5 way lsd or a 2.0 lsd? apprently the 1.5's make it handle strange when de-ecelerating. but the 2.0 lsd works fine when de-ecelerating to???

is that correct and wat are the benefits or downsides

Rory

Lifer
Quaiffe is theway forward! They also come with a lifetime garantee, and they are based in GB.
I did have a Cusco, but the Quaiffe takes it by a country mile!

hardcoreep

Member +
wats better, a 1.5 way lsd or a 2.0 lsd? apprently the 1.5's make it handle strange when de-ecelerating. but the 2.0 lsd works fine when de-ecelerating to???

is that correct and wat are the benefits or downsides
For a front wheel drive 1 and 1.5. 2 is for RWD and 4WD. The number refers to the conditions under which the diff locks.

1 = under accleration
1.5 = under accleration, some under braking
2 = under both acceleration and braking

A 2 would make a front wheel drive tough to drive as it would always be locked. These make the most noise and can't be quieted.

hardcoreep

Member +
I have never heard a quiet two way, clutch type lsd in any vehicle. I've driven them in all three drivetrains, 4WD (evolution IV), FF (DC2 ITR), and RWD (AE86). All made noise, even after changing the preload. With a 2-way its always engaged unless stationary. We couldn't even push the EvoIV with the wheels turned as any movement would lock it. It would bang under each shift. The only one that came close to being quiet was the ITRs and that clicked like mad once you started turning the wheel.

If you have one, consider yourself lucky.

fastglanza

Member +
oh..no dont know about the 2 way...but i 've been in lots of 1.5 way clutch type and they made mad noise but stopped once the rite oil was put in...and some were quite modified with alot of preload

I have never heard a quiet two way, clutch type lsd in any vehicle. I've driven them in all three drivetrains, 4WD (evolution IV), FF (DC2 ITR), and RWD (AE86). All made noise, even after changing the preload. With a 2-way its always engaged unless stationary. We couldn't even push the EvoIV with the wheels turned as any movement would lock it. It would bang under each shift. The only one that came close to being quiet was the ITRs and that clicked like mad once you started turning the wheel.

If you have one, consider yourself lucky.

hardcoreep

Member +
You open the gearbox, remove the stock differential, bolt the crown gear from the stock diff onto the LSD, and replace.