TRD LSD Fitted!

Gee

Member +
Well, my oh my...

Had my LSD fitted today and I love it.

Driving normally around town you would not even know it was there. The car acts the same as it did before. One of my gripes was always that the steering was too light for me, felt a bit floaty. Now when you have a bit of speed, the car just feels more planted and the front wheels just feel like they are feeding more info through the steering wheel.

Now, I thought I would give my local roudabout ago. Now, I won't advise what speed I could take this roundabout at before the LSD, but I did an extra 20mph on top and probably could do more!

The thing just pulls into the corner your taking. It suprises you a bit at first because before the wheels would just be scrambling before the LSD and you would have to keep letting off the gas and feeding it back in. Now I can just leave my foot planted, its just crazy.

Corners, winding roads etc are more of a joy than before. I can take corners with so much speed than before and now the wheels are not spinning up on corners, you just carry so much more speed where before you would lose it.

It helps a little bit with wheel spin too, but not that much, its the corners where the magic happens.

The thing works so well - turn the wheel in, footdown and the car just pulls into the corner. I would say the limiting factor at the moment are the tyres! To get the full advantage of this LSD, I would atleast need some semi slicks, its crazy.

My tyre pressures might play some part in this. Would pressures are ideal on 15" rims?

If you can afford one, buy one. My car has simply been transformed.

dan_ep82

Member +
Well, my oh my...

Had my LSD fitted today and I love it.

Driving normally around town you would not even know it was there. The car acts the same as it did before. One of my gripes was always that the steering was too light for me, felt a bit floaty. Now when you have a bit of speed, the car just feels more planted and the front wheels just feel like they are feeding more info through the steering wheel.

Now, I thought I would give my local roudabout ago. Now, I won't advise what speed I could take this roundabout at before the LSD, but I did an extra 20mph on top and probably could do more!

The thing just pulls into the corner your taking. It suprises you a bit at first because before the wheels would just be scrambling before the LSD and you would have to keep letting off the gas and feeding it back in. Now I can just leave my foot planted, its just crazy.

Corners, winding roads etc are more of a joy than before. I can take corners with so much speed than before and now the wheels are not spinning up on corners, you just carry so much more speed where before you would lose it.

It helps a little bit with wheel spin too, but not that much, its the corners where the magic happens.

The thing works so well - turn the wheel in, footdown and the car just pulls into the corner. I would say the limiting factor at the moment are the tyres! To get the full advantage of this LSD, I would atleast need some semi slicks, its crazy.

My tyre pressures might play some part in this. Would pressures are ideal on 15" rims?

If you can afford one, buy one. My car has simply been transformed.

never had an LSD before then? :p :p

i have trd too its awesome

Gee

Member +
Nope, first time!

Bit of a shock, running good power all this time without it. Got so used to how it behaved, now got to learn how it behaves again.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
yeah makes a real big difference doesnt it gee,

would feel strange going back to a starlet without one.

same here it feels like the more throttle you give it the more it wants to grip?

i personally think it handles worse without throttle at times haha i guess thats because the diff isnt locking?

full throttle in corners ftw

Im still learning my diff. Just need to nail it into every corner and it grips more,lol. Still getting used to the "come off the power and you're heading for a bush" trick though :(

Gee

Member +
Yeah its wicked, just keep ya foot planted and it pulls in.

Not sure on the cost mate to drop a LSD in, as my box was rebuilt and while it was open they dropped it in, so no extra cost for that.

GTti

Member +
Don't take that with a pinch of salt Gee, I'm just playing.

I've had an ATB type LSD for a while now, maintenance free :)

I find in mine it doesn't take much throttle to engage. although it's mostly large roundabouts round here.

Gee

Member +
Yeah I know mate, no probs :)

ATB as in QUAIFE? Basically a helical then?? Or is it different?

Are there only 3 types of LSD?

Helical
Mechanical
Clutch

?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
i've had my quaffe sitting on my floor for a while now, certainly helps when i'm on the beer headin to the loo!

Nah seriously can't wait to get it in the car, just need a stronger clutch before i up my boost so been holding off, but whats being said here has me excited hehe.

Though i've had a few warnings aswell, things like "ya'll not be driving with one hand on the wheel anymore" and "Ya'll only be booting it on dual carrage way cause ya'll need two lanes to keep er in the same direction!"

hope these warnings arn't as bad as they sound.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i've had my quaffe sitting on my floor for a while now, certainly helps when i'm on the beer headin to the loo!

Nah seriously can't wait to get it in the car, just need a stronger clutch before i up my boost so been holding off, but whats being said here has me excited hehe.

Though i've had a few warnings aswell, things like "ya'll not be driving with one hand on the wheel anymore" and "Ya'll only be booting it on dual carrage way cause ya'll need two lanes to keep er in the same direction!"

hope these warnings arn't as bad as they sound.

i drove a 210bhp td04 starlet with a quaffe fitted and couldnt tell it was fitted tbh. didnt drive it far or give it much but it was far from dangerous

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Good stuff! i'm running 225bhp atm but looking closer to 330-380 so hope it maintains a safe drive.

Last edited:

GTti

Member +
Yeah I know mate, no probs :)

ATB as in QUAIFE? Basically a helical then?? Or is it different?

Are there only 3 types of LSD?

Helical
Mechanical
Clutch

?

Helical/ATB/Torsen style are all the same really and all mechanical as far as I'm aware. They are torque sensitive.

Others are clutch, viscous, and some other odd ones which are rubbish.

Gee

Member +
Spuddy,

It aint that bad mate.

To be fair, the steering is a little heavier but I prefer. It will torque steer too, but its not as bad as people like to make out.

GTti,

Cool, mine is more or less maintaince free too then..just replace gearbox oil and sorted.
BTW, I went with the MT90 after taking to Redline and Oil Man.