trd lsd oil

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
well i just need a confirmation on the oil i need for the lsd i was told to get

Silkolene SILKTRAN SYN 5 75W-90 Fully Synthetic Gear Oil
but was reading up on additives do i need one also or will the above do ???
thanks

ashygt

Member +
could you not just get kaaz or cusco diff oil,need someone to confirm it but there a clutch type clutch like the trd.

thanks stu

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
could you not just get kaaz or cusco diff oil,need someone to confirm it but there a clutch type clutch like the trd.

thanks stu

im not sure this is my first time having an lsd so im just getting what im told to lol

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
The oil mentioned is fine, thats what I use in mine mate :)

ok cool just wanted to be sure ,its costly enough to isnt it .and its sold in 1 litre bottles and wouldnt ya know i need just over a litre :p:p:p

is it true you have to change it every 3000 miles ??

Sparky

Member +
Cant remember how many miles I did in my car but it was more than that.

You can tell when it needs changing though it will feel alot more clunky. Only changed it once and it felt alot smoother

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
Cant remember how many miles I did in my car but it was more than that.

You can tell when it needs changing though it will feel alot more clunky. Only changed it once and it felt alot smoother

will remember that !!!! cant wait to get the thing fitted and actually feel some traction and be able to press the accelerator going round a corner:p:p

weakboy2

Member +
sorry guys but thats the wrong oil, you need ls oil, there is a post about it from akaye4000, ricky is the guy to talk to.

that oil is what i use on my gt with a quaife helical lsd. mechanical diffs need additive or lsd oil.

weakboy2

Member +
will be working unnefficiently then mate, if you go by the book its the wrong oil thats all.

good oil, but not for plated/clutched diffs.

tgidavid

Member +
Depends on the LSD type.

Gear LSD (aka ATB)
Silkolene Silktran SYN is recommended for-
Quaife dog engagement gearboxes and gearkits
Quaife reversing box
Quaife ATB differentials

Clutch LSD
depends on the brand. KAAZ says don't use synthetic.
I've always used redline with friction modifier.

oilman

Trader
sorry guys but thats the wrong oil, you need ls oil, there is a post about it from akaye4000, ricky is the guy to talk to.

that oil is what i use on my gt with a quaife helical lsd. mechanical diffs need additive or lsd oil.

The Syn5 is an LSD oil as well, it already has the friction modifiers in it so will be fine.

Cheers

Guy

oilman

Trader
Clutch LSD
depends on the brand. KAAZ says don't use synthetic.
I've always used redline with friction modifier.

My understanding is that KAAZ recommend mineral oil for their sealed unit lsd's such as RWD applications? Once an after market LSD like this is fitted to a FWD car and the oil supply is fed from the gearbox there is instantly a conflict of interest between the gearbox and the diff.

You can also go down the GL5 synthetic 75w-90 + friction modifier route.

Cheers

Guy

sx_turbo

Lifer
DO NOT USE THAT SYN5 OIL IN YOUR MECHANICAL DIFF

from experience it is no good, you need a mineral oil, with the ls additive in it.

i have spent many many many hours trawling through the internet to find out the oil it should have, and the fully synthetic is very bad for it.

also gt gearboxes are gl-5 compliant, whereas the glanza boxes are gl-4 compliant