turbo whistle at 5500 - 7500rpm.

el_spudoh

Fresh Recruit
as above, under full throtle going threw every gear ive noticed for a long time now that the turbo seems to whistle quite loud.

basicly wondering if anyone else has had this and if they know if its something bad to look out for or not.

only seems to do it under full throtle.

cheers, chris

dan

Member +
think your turbo might be on its way out mate.

you can expect some whistling but thats just the turbo spooling up, pretty sure you could do with replacing the turbo.

sure someone with experience here would be able to tell you for sure.

Gilly2006

Member +
my dads glanza has a brand new turbo and i have noticed it does whistle quite loud! i noticed it today when he was giving some stick!
so it can't be a problem.

el_spudoh

Fresh Recruit
cheers for the replys guys.
the more i think of it now, it does seem to have been around the time i got an aftermarket filter! just been that long i havnt really pinpointed it.

you can hear it spool up as normal but like i said its only at the steady revs i described.

anyone got any ideas of how to prevent this (other than put the factory filter in) or should i not really bother as it aint a problem as such?

Gilly2006

Member +
its not a problem at all! the turbo is doing its job, it will whistle because its spinning so fast and the higher the revs to more it will!! my dads got a HKS mushroom air filter so it will be because of that. if you took the restrictive EFI pipe off that runs to the turbo it would whistle even more.

el_spudoh

Fresh Recruit
its not a problem at all! the turbo is doing its job, it will whistle because its spinning so fast and the higher the revs to more it will!! my dads got a HKS mushroom air filter so it will be because of that. if you took the restrictive EFI pipe off that runs to the turbo it would whistle even more.

good stuff thanks for the info.

one more thing tho, EFI pipe? prob a silli question but its late and i cant think which one u mean. lol

GT_Neil

Member +
it says EFI on it lol, the black one going from left front, to right back on the engine bay.

is it a nice whistle? or like a scream out of interest?

el_spudoh

Fresh Recruit
it says EFI on it lol, the black one going from left front, to right back on the engine bay.

is it a nice whistle? or like a scream out of interest?

haha ahrite i get you now, the one directly above/horizontal to the exhaust mani. turbo inlet pipe. oh and just to add mine dnt say EFI on it lol

and its more of a steady whistle noise you can make with your mouth.
imo i wouldnt say a scream but thats mayb just me.

GT_Neil

Member +
in that case then as others above said, sounds like a nice healthy turbo sucking in noise to me :)

lol thats alright then if it don't say EFI on it.

el_spudoh

Fresh Recruit
good because f**k paying for another turbo right now.
got my 21st and a holiday cuming up and I really cant afford to for that amount out lol

cheers mate. like i said silli question bout the efi pipe but its late and my heads places it shouldnt be haha

Gilly2006

Member +
good because f**k paying for another turbo right now.
got my 21st and a holiday cuming up and I really cant afford to for that amount out lol

cheers mate. like i said silli question bout the efi pipe but its late and my heads places it shouldnt be haha

i say EFi pipe because i owned a MRK 2 GT and it had EFI on that pipe which is what all GTs have on. but the glanza must not. don't mean to confuse you dude.