very high idle help!!!

hey guys, just recently my gt had started idling at nearly 2000 revs:( , when you leave it to idle by itself it will sit at 1500 but when you touch the accelerator it will start idling at 1900:confused: . really need help on this 1 cheers

Mike_ep91

Member +
thers a screw on top of the inlet mani that adjusts the idle.simply pop off the rubber gromet and run it with a flat head screw t turn down the idle.

or

if its only just started happenin then there mite be a split in a vacumm pipe somewere.

just took it for a quik run and the temp gauge went above the middle like it was goin to ova heat and as i drove it bac it went bac to the middle, had a look in the engine bay and there is a hole in the pipe from the expansion tank to the rad could this be the prob???

Mike D EP82

Member +
really doubt it bud thats just like an over flow pipe. best thing to do is listen for a sucking sound under the bonnet as this will indicate a vacuum leak. double check all the vacuum pipes etc. it isnt a possibility that the distributor has moved indicating advance in the ignition timing? or a leaking intercooler pipe, or the gkset between the turbo and the intercooler

Dave.

Member +
Alright roberto!

As said, check for leaks in the vacuum hosing, it's the likely culprit. But unless the idle being raised was caused by moving the idle screw, I wouldn't move that to try and solve the problem, you know?

Hope you sort it mate

Dave

Gilly2006

Member +
right, i have just solved my problem of this. i was using a Forge bov with a diaphram, i opened my bonnet on sunday and all i could hear was hissing from the bov. the diaphram had split in 3 places. i was reving to over 2000rpm from cold and 1600rpm when warm. now im a nice 800rpm when warm and is stable.
what bov you running dude?

THE DUKE

Banned
check tps its a little black box on the back intake will idle high when not plugged in but dont tink it would go up and down tink it would just idle around the 2000rpm when plugged out?

southwalesgt

Member +
Sounds like a boost leak. Had one not so long ago and was idling around 2000rpm. The BOV was mullered on mine. If you have a boost leak it will make a wicked whine through the leak as its sucking in air.

You can cover the boost pipes with fairy liquid and check for bubbles in splits,holes or damaged clip areas to identify where its coming from.