very low idle

king_stu

Member +
Guys,
got a small problem with the gt :(. This morning it decide to start to idle at 300rpm. I pulled up at the traffic lights and it deicde to do it. Pulls fine once your moving again. definately idling on only 3(or 2?) cylinders.
Any thoughts peeps?
thanks stu

sx_turbo

Lifer
possibly cracked piston, headgasket, piston rings/ringlands.

my car does this, sometimes it's ok sometimes it idles like a right shit.
i done a compression test and all the cylinders were the same, it uses no oil, and it dont lose water either or push water out from the expansion, and there is no mayonaise in the oil, so im at a complete loss. i'm gonna torque the spark plugs correctly, as these were the last thing i changed, and replace the rotor and disi.

after that im at a loss

king_stu

Member +
well i've just been reading through the site looking for ideas as to what it could be. Now i'm thinking that i never heard the normal ticking noise (idle control valve). So i think this might be at fault.
Def not a cracked pistion or anything like that mate. Its just not idling at the normal amount. Well she is booked in to the garage tomorrow, so we will soon see.

sx_turbo

Lifer
well i've just been reading through the site looking for ideas as to what it could be. Now i'm thinking that i never heard the normal ticking noise (idle control valve). So i think this might be at fault.
Def not a cracked pistion or anything like that mate. Its just not idling at the normal amount. Well she is booked in to the garage tomorrow, so we will soon see.

keep me updated lad, fingers crossed they find the prob and it be an easy fix.

king_stu

Member +
Got a mate looking at her tonight and the garage tomorrow. So hopefully all should be good by tomorrow night. if not its time for a rebuild lol

sx_turbo

Lifer
Got a mate looking at her tonight and the garage tomorrow. So hopefully all should be good by tomorrow night. if not its time for a rebuild lol

:eek: i hope not i dont wanna go down that route again.

but i spose if needs must forgies it is

king_stu

Member +
Well i have my fingers crossed that it is just the ICV that is playing up. Going to ring up toyota and get a price on one. Would these need any speical tools or setting up? or is it something i could do at home?

Sigma

Member +
Mine was a little too low, at about 600, so I wound the throttle stop ever so slightly, and now it sits perfectly at 1100rpm.

Mint :)

king_stu

Member +
well the idle on mine has dropped from 900rpm to 300rpm. for what appears to be no reason, hence me booking the sucker in the garage.
Mine runs fine, just not idling lol.

thechomper

Member +
Got a price on the "air control valve". Its £73 + VAT. (ouch!)

is that for idle control valve ,because toyota said to me 300 euro for idle control valve,and 110 for air temp sensor,are you sure they gave you the right price for idle control,or could they have mixed it with air temp sensor

thechomper

Member +
seems around the same Ricky,never seen much difference in the UK prices and Irish prices,thats why i asked mate

Last edited: