Wanting to turbocharge my starlet ep91 sportif.. [help!]

TheDaniel

Fresh Recruit
alright guys, looking to strap a turbo onto my EP91 starlet sportif, shes a quick motor but not quick enough.. So i thought this site would be the best place for pointers!

I've got someone to fit it, but I'll have to be buying the turbo myself but am unaware on how to make sure I'm buying a good turbo & not scrap. Any tips??? .. what sort of price am i expected to pay for a decent turbo as well?

Also, I've been told it should be an easy job to bolt on as they're the same engine as a glanza. Is there anything else i will need to make it run better?? What all do it need?

[sorry for dumb questions, i'm just a petrol head not a mechanic :p]

Anyways, appreciate any help. Cheers for reading!

cheshireglanza

**Do not buy from me**
you would need turbo mani,decat,oil sandwitch plate,top mount or front cant think off any thing else at min,some people do say it would be easyer to drop turbo lump in with glanza wiring loom has not to sure your na engine will take boost pressure before ringlands or bottom end goes

dark_knight

Member +
welcome along mate. now, you'll need quite some work in regard to this. depending on what kind of power you are looking at, there are quite some additions/replacements you'll need to consider. in summary:

01] new exhaust mani (you may choose an aftermarket one) + you'll have to modify your down-pipe joiner for the turbo exit you'll have
02] new rocker cover with the extra breather
03] of course you'll need an intercooler, either tmic or fmic
04] you will need the turbo loom and ecu
05] if you'll be running high power, consider a replacement clutch & uprated pressure plate
06] not too sure about this but i think the crank pulley is different..?
07] oil and coolant lines for the turbo
08] plus a couple of small bits and bobs here and there

did i miss anything..?
also depending on your mechanical prowess :) you may want to consider an engine transplant instead of turbo-kitting your current one - that would be much more hassle-free, and perhaps cheaper..?

Last edited:

_iforget_glanza

Untrusted Seller
mate ur missing one of the mst important things...oil feed for turbo and return pipe.if u really wana kno i would get on to a member on here.goes by the name of rob h.hes done many 4efe builds and is currently doin one at the min

TheDaniel

Fresh Recruit
Thanks very much guys for the responses.. I've already got a full blitz bur spec exhaust with full stainless piping back to front & decat'd. The clutched will be replaced in the next month or 2. Thanks for the list. .. The reason i was going to turbo mine rather than transplant is because theres only 60k on that engine & its pretty damn sharp for a little 1.3 non turbo.

What is the estimated prices & differences beween getting it turbo'd & a full engine transplant?

dac69er

Super Moderator
it may have 60k on it but turboing it will kill it quickly. you up the boost much and it will due very quickly.

you would be much better just transplanting another engine. less hassle and the results will be better. cost wise your probably looking at a similar cost for a stock for stock comparison.

Jay

Admin
If you want a run through of the options I can talk you through them in person mate, it's usually easier to process when you can see it firsthand. I'm only down the road from Ards.

Jay

Rob H

Member +
mate ur missing one of the mst important things...oil feed for turbo and return pipe.if u really wana kno i would get on to a member on here.goes by the name of rob h.hes done many 4efe builds and is currently doin one at the min

cheers for that lol!

yes you can bolt a turbo on to the n/a and make them quite reliable I have don it and I know the new zealand lads were doing it with good power out put over the 200bhp mark with no issues I carnt say what mine was never got it rolling roaded plus it was like 8 years ago I did the first one.
you can use the standard manifold like I did it makes a better manifold than the standard turbo one for starters! cut the bottom off the manifold and weld on a flange to suit your turbo its as easy as that!
for the oil feed I used a T piece from where the oil pressure switch goes into the block, so you have a feed for the turbo and then the pressure switch into the end.
for the oil return drill a hole into the sump and weld in a boss for the pipe to clamp to the use a 90 bend from the turbo onto the boss.
any front mount kit will do the job fine you may have to modify some of the pipe work tho.
I run mine on the Greddy emanage blue with this there is no need to change the map sensor or any thing it can do all you could need it to do on its own once mapped.
Or you do it like I am doing now and build a forged 4efe! no wiring to swap or anything no custom looms and it will be just as strong as a forged 4efte so I really carnt see the point in the transplant! been there don that too and its more hassle than it worth in my eyes but I was one of the first to do it on this side of the pond any way! well I did mine back in 2002 lol

Paul_JJ

Member +
Just buy a starlet or a Glanza - you will make your life so much easier....... it's not just the engine, it's almost everything would be different. I know it looks similar but there are many many things you need to consider. You'd be better of and cheaper for you just to get a starlet or a Glanza.

dark_knight

Member +
@Paul_JJ: true. we know the n/a and turbo-kitted go-karts are different in one aspect or the other but i'm sure TheDaniel has his reasons for not going straight for a glanza. i had an n/a for a long minute and loved that car to bits. was very sad and torn to have to let it go coz of some unavoidable circumstances. the one thing i miss the most about it was the reliability. it was so reliable, i could get up at 11p on a dark rainy night, in my pyjamas! & go 100 miles from home, with no loose change in my pocket, & still be sure that it would get me back home safe and sound.. :D

Rob H

Member +
Just buy a starlet or a Glanza - you will make your life so much easier....... it's not just the engine, it's almost everything would be different. I know it looks similar but there are many many things you need to consider. You'd be better of and cheaper for you just to get a starlet or a Glanza.

thats not all that correct! I run a SR which from standard has a lot better suspension set up than the glanza and the GT with its TTE springs and shocks! the front anti roll bar is not quite as stiff tho but I have never had any problems with that. you tell me what the rest is! there is nothing that is major different the raer brakes are discs on the glanza but after having the discs and drums on my cars I can say the drums are a lot better for brake effort and I have never had them hot to the point they dont work! and if need be its a hours job to swap the axel.
the one thing I will stand by is a uk car is a hell of a lot cheaper to insure than a import! even with all the mods. I have had mine over 10 years and would not consider swapping it for a glanza I enjoy doing ALL THE WORK MY SELF I know if any thing goes tits up its my fault I could go out and buy a glanza or 2 tomora but why would I want some ones project not my own? thats like paying some one to do all the work for me and that will never happen lol!!

TheDaniel

Fresh Recruit
If you want a run through of the options I can talk you through them in person mate, it's usually easier to process when you can see it firsthand. I'm only down the road from Ards.

Jay

I'm a regular cruiser & i'm at most shows. I'm a member of BCS, if you can't get the hold of me here go to belfastcarscene.co.uk . If you go to meets, maybe you could take a run down to the meet some week & you should see me there. Keep an eye out for a white starlet with a few stickers behind the wiper on the rear window & i'm currantly running on steelies until alloys get tyred.

cheers for that lol!

yes you can bolt a turbo on to the n/a and make them quite reliable I have don it and I know the new zealand lads were doing it with good power out put over the 200bhp mark with no issues I carnt say what mine was never got it rolling roaded plus it was like 8 years ago I did the first one.
you can use the standard manifold like I did it makes a better manifold than the standard turbo one for starters! cut the bottom off the manifold and weld on a flange to suit your turbo its as easy as that!
for the oil feed I used a T piece from where the oil pressure switch goes into the block, so you have a feed for the turbo and then the pressure switch into the end.
for the oil return drill a hole into the sump and weld in a boss for the pipe to clamp to the use a 90 bend from the turbo onto the boss.
any front mount kit will do the job fine you may have to modify some of the pipe work tho.
I run mine on the Greddy emanage blue with this there is no need to change the map sensor or any thing it can do all you could need it to do on its own once mapped.
Or you do it like I am doing now and build a forged 4efe! no wiring to swap or anything no custom looms and it will be just as strong as a forged 4efte so I really carnt see the point in the transplant! been there don that too and its more hassle than it worth in my eyes but I was one of the first to do it on this side of the pond any way! well I did mine back in 2002 lol

Seems like a lot of work, i'm no mechanic so i wouldn't be able to do the work myself. You're lucky to have the knowlage to do that to your own motor, i'm going to need to pay some1 to do it all & if the project fails, i don't have money to spare for a new car so it's a bit crazy for me at the min. I'm really attached to my wee motor & i'd love it to be running good & quick. I'm going to have a few hundred to spend on it, but if it goes beyond by budget, i might have to sell the car. I've been considering an EK civic, but i generally would love to keep my motor, i just needs a good bit of work done. I have my car in the garage of RMS so you can see what has been done & what needs to be done, my user name is the same.

I'd love a Glanza. I could insure one but theyre expensive to find in good nick & one with low milage. Then more money for mods & repairs if needed seems a bit much. If i could get one good one for bargin price i'd change but atm I'm quite attached to my wee starlet aswell as i've already put a fair bit of cash into it. I'm not loaded, i've just got a claim from a crash that wasn't my fault & i found out today i won the case (6 months later) so after repairs i've a bit of extra cash that will be going into the car.

Cheers everyone!

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
I usually keep out of the limelight bro, prefer the low profile approach lol. Plus I can't show you what's involved properly at a meet either.

Here's a heads up on the past two conversions I've done, might give you an idea of the normal conversion procedure:

NangleBadger's

Joz's

If you need any guidance just shout.

Cheers,

Jay

TheDaniel

Fresh Recruit
Thanks very much for all these tips & showing me these other projects. Weather i keep my car & turbo it or end up with a glanza [it all depends on costs of both], i'll be sure to come back here for advice. So many responses so quickly. Apreciate it!

So here is my wee motor that i'm so eager to keep because i want a project, but it will mean throwing a lot of money at it.. If i had a garage i'd keep it for cert :p

rms1.jpg

rms2.jpg

9566292.png

Cheers for looking!

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
Wondered where that little wagon had gone. I sold him the rims around two years ago.

Jay

TheDaniel

Fresh Recruit
Small world! I've owned the wee car for about a year. The boy you sold them to tryed painting them white with what looks like a paintbrush lol! If hte car is being kept theyre getting a propper respray. I googled them, apparently they're off an old derv golf?!?! I dont know, am i close? Either way the suit the car! :) Just need decent centre caps & coloured wheel nuts & we'll be flying!