Warming up and cooling down advice please

Elaine

Lifer
How do you no what the car is “warm” I don’t have an after market oil temp gauge and having read some previous post it is my understanding that the factory fitted one can not really be relied upon. So how long or how many miles is it until the car is ready??

Also same question but in revise for letting the car cool down I have a turbo timer and its set to 30 secs but does this actually do anything???? Should the car left for a few minuets after a normal drive or only if you have given it some beans???

Thanks
E

Kelly

Member +
I've found that timing the k24 gt to warm up oil wise takes around 8-10mins of driving at 30ish stopping and starting at lights.

Yes the standard water temp gauge is poop, it shows halfway reading when the water temp is at 40 degrees or so (normal running temp on ours is 80) and even on track when car was overheatin on greddy gauge at 115 degrees the standard water temp didnt even move on the car shocking to think what temps its doing if that think moves :S

Dont have a turbo timer on the auto as the only places it gets booted are a long way from home and the drive home through town and estate is slow so thats the cool down for me. But after good ragging on track we leave the k24 car running for a good few mins on the timer.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
i drive off boost for around 10 mins then starting feeding it in gradually, for the cooldown i just drive off boost again for the last few miles then switch straight off.

Mike@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.Tuning
Best bet would be to get some gauges installed, that way you know when its safe to put some boost through it.

Mine normally takes around 10 mins of town driving to get the oil upto temp. as above the stock water temp gauge sucks and reads halfway when my aftermarket one is just coming above 35! :S

Cooling down I normally drive the last couple of miles off boost and ensure the temps are ok before switching off

Last edited:

Elaine

Lifer
Thanks for this, what temps are we looking at for being warm and ready to boost?

Also what should the temp be at under normal driving condition??

E :)

Blak_Mamber

Member +
30 seconds is about right if you have been for a normal drive not booting it etc.. I leave it for 1 min on turbo timer if ive been booting it a bit..
I dont tend to warm the car up, i just drive for 5 mins or so without hitting the turbo too much. :D

Mike@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.Tuning
are you on stock cooling?

if so I would imagine around 85 water temps and anywhere between 80 - 100 oil temp for normal driving

sx_turbo

Lifer
Thanks for this, what temps are we looking at for being warm and ready to boost?

Also what should the temp be at under normal driving condition??

E :)

oil should be between 80 and 100, water should be be between 72 and 82, depending on what thermostat you have.

when driving hard expect the oil to get as hot as 110 degrees, and the water to go up as much as 90 degrees.

if water gets as high as 100-110 degrees, you got some issues

rb69

Member +
I was thinking about this last night. I always give it about 10 minutes of driving until I drive on boost just to be safe, but I have a question.

As soon as you turn the engine on, the turbo is spinning right? So couldn't the turbo be damaged even when you aren't driving on boost, say, just below it kicks in or is it not really generating enough heat at that stage?

sx_turbo

Lifer
I was thinking about this last night. I always give it about 10 minutes of driving until I drive on boost just to be safe, but I have a question.

As soon as you turn the engine on, the turbo is spinning right? So couldn't the turbo be damaged even when you aren't driving on boost, say, just below it kicks in or is it not really generating enough heat at that stage?

it's not generating the same kinda heat then, as the oil acts as a coolant.

Gee

Member +
On first/cold start up just drive the car. Don't sit in the car on idle warming it up that way. Not good on the engine, fuel or turbo oil seals.

Keep it under 3,000rpm until warm, which can take about 10-15mins. When I say warm, I mean oil and not water.

In regards to cooling down, this came about years back when turbo's were not cooled very efficently, or water cooled.. If you have been boosting it, just drive calm for a minute or some on route back home or to the end of your destination and you should be fine.

sx_turbo

Lifer
was thinking more thermostat, bigger rad, oil cooler etc :)
would consider a low temp thermostat for starters ;)

for what elaine uses her car, i cant see a need for an oil cooler, and the standard rad should still be ok.

i would suggest to invest in some gauges, and see what sort of temps you are getting, and then decide on whether you need an oil cooler and bigger rad etc etc etc.

also decent gauges are expensive enough,

GTti

Member +
Gee's post is spot on, drive the car.

Water doesn't take long to get up to temp, between 75 - 85 degrees should be ok (Most cars fans kick in at 92 degrees). It's designed to stay at that temperature. I use water wetter, 50% coolant and 50% distilled water in my race car the the temperatures are kept very low.

Oil takes far longer, oil temps should be up to around 80 degrees too once it's up to temperature (Normal driving).

No need for an oil cooler, unless you're seeing a resonable value over 100 degrees really.

I use TIM gauges, they cost £30 each with sensors. Lots of people use them in Motorsport, don't get ripped off because you want a Greddy or Defi logo sitting near the dash. (I have Defi in my road car, certainly wouldn't pay that price myself though).

Last edited:

Elaine

Lifer
for what elaine uses her car, i cant see a need for an oil cooler, and the standard rad should still be ok.

i would suggest to invest in some gauges, and see what sort of temps you are getting, and then decide on whether you need an oil cooler and bigger rad etc etc etc.

also decent gauges are expensive enough,

Thanks Ricky sorry for being dim lol good job someone knows me and my car :)

I was thinking about getting a rad like what Monkfish has had build???

Elaine

Lifer
so is a rebuild if things get toasty :p lol

lol Mike this is very ture and as I am now keeping her I plan on making sure she is running the best she can...

Taking her out on track is what I want to do but after Japfest I am very worried of cooking her again, my temp gauge did not move untill there was steam coming out and as soon as I let my foot off it dropped straight back down to half way so its clearly not working