warming up/cooling down

cameroon95

Member +
Just a general query, would do a poll if i knew how to!:homer:

But how long do you guys leave your car idling for(if at all) before giving her some beans? Or do you just drive and take it easy for a while.

Cooling down im pretty good, turbo timer for 5mins(9 for a very long jouney) so the turbo should be in pretty good shape i would have thought.

ChrisGT

Member +
Let it idle for 2-3mins, then take it nice and slow for 10/15mins or so, then boost the shit out of it. Same with cooling down, drive off boost in low boost for the last 10/15mins before I get to where I'm going then let it idle for about 2 mins.

munday

Member +
The best thing you can do when the engine is cold is get straight in and drive it. Keeps oil pressure up and warms the engine up quicker.

Take it easy for the last couple of miles and my turbo timer sets itself to 10 seconds so i leave it at that.

cameroon95

Member +
Let it idle for 2-3mins, then take it nice and slow for 10/15mins or so, then boost the shit out of it. Same with cooling down, drive off boost in low boost for the last 10/15mins before I get to where I'm going then let it idle for about 2 mins.

seems like a sensible way, its difficult sometimes to wait that extra ten mins but recently iv been quite good.

Idrees

Banned
I drive off within a minute of starting her up, and allow the water to warm up and the oil reach about 70 degree before giving it some. Takes about 5-10 minutes. I always use my car on short journeys so warming up and cooling down gets annoying! I usually drive slowly and even try to roll when I get near home, and turn off the engine after about a minute of parking. A turbo timer would be very handy, but apparently my alarm system won't allow it. :(

Last edited:

starletsam

Member +
i always wait untill the engine is at operating tempreture before giving it any,takes about 5-10 mins before its at the normal running tempreture.then when i park i would say its runnin for at least 40 seconds usually well over a minute before i turn it off then the turbo timer does it bit for another 20 seconds.so cooling down i would say a good 2 mins usually and for the last 10 mins of the jouney its granny driving lol

thefalls

Member +
I always take it easy till the water temp gets to the normal halfway on the stock gauge.

And i leave the timer on automatic,there is no need to allow to cool down...does its own thing.

Spoonz

Member +
I drive off within a minute of starting her up, and allow the water to warm up and the oil reach about 70 degree before giving it some. Takes about 5-10 minutes. I always use my car on short journeys so warming up and cooling down gets annoying! I usually drive slowly and even try to roll when I get near home, and turn off the engine after about a minute of parking. A turbo timer would be very handy, but apparently my alarm system won't allow it. :(

that just means u cant lock the car with the alarm while the turbo timer is on ;)

madman

Member +
it takes a good 10-15 mins of normal driving never going over .2bar boost or 3k rpm for the engine to get to operating temprature and i normally just drive off boost for the last 2mins and leave the turbo timer on for a minute

billybob

Untrusted Seller
The best thing you can do when the engine is cold is get straight in and drive it. Keeps oil pressure up and warms the engine up quicker.

Take it easy for the last couple of miles and my turbo timer sets itself to 10 seconds so i leave it at that.

man thats the first ive hard of that.thats just bull ,engines have to be heated up before you drive them ,you cant boost the fuckin engine when cold:homer:

davehart

Member +
I never see the use in turbo timers when you have a clock on the dash board.If its a short journey then driving under 3k is fine but if your going to boot it a little just give it ten minutes to warm up fully.

Cooling down? I usually get the shopiing inside and let it idle for a few minutes.

davehart

Member +
man thats the first ive hard of that.thats just bull ,engines have to be heated up before you drive them ,you cant boost the fuckin engine when cold:homer:

Are you serious? You dont see racing teams putting a warm up blanket on the engine to get it up to temperature before they fire it up do you.

Spoonz

Member +
i have an oil temp and it dosnt take no more then 5 mins for the car to be at a nice op temp dont get all this long has driving seein no boost TBH

munday

Member +

I'm not saying go all out from the moment you turn the key, im saying drive it normally (personally i keep it below about 3k for a few miles until im confident the oil is at an ok temp)

If you leave it idling to warm up before you drive it you are wasting petrol, making it take longer to warm up so actually doing your engine more damage, and wasting time.

Spoonz

Member +
^^^and to go of wat munday said you aint warming it up atall the mistake most ppl make is goin by the temp needle on the dash and its so inacurate its unreal u can sit there for 10mins and the car will still not be warmed up on tickover so wen u got boosting it your doin it wen the oil is cold there fore destroyin your engine

Last edited:

durmz

Member +

who said anything about boosting it, he means just taking it easy, and hes right.

i get straight in it, drive it easy till water goes upto normal temps. got turbo timer set for 50 secs, and it increases automatically if ive been booting it.

Rumel786

Member +
I'm not saying go all out from the moment you turn the key, im saying drive it normally (personally i keep it below about 3k for a few miles until im confident the oil is at an ok temp)

If you leave it idling to warm up before you drive it you are wasting petrol, making it take longer to warm up so actually doing your engine more damage, and wasting time.

x2

I never let my car warm up on idle, i just get in & drive but for the first 5 miles or so keep it below 3k rpm.

however once i have gave it some i drive below 3k for last 2-3 miles, keep car on turbo timer for a minute.

Rory

Lifer
Get in, turn key, drive away. No boosting until its up to operating temperature.
Never leave an engine to idle, this only glazes the bores and gives a poorer piston ring seal.

As for cooling down, Use the last couple of minutes of driving home or anywhere for that matter to do this.
Drive off boost and you cant go wrong.
Personally think turbo timers are a waste of time, only reason mine is in,is for the gauges.

danturbo4311

Member +
I never let my engine warm up on idle always drive it but only gently untills it warm otherwise you run a risk of glazing the bores as rory said & increase the risk of piston slap on idle when its cold especially on forged engines

Glanza_cl

Member +

Get in, turn key, drive away. No boosting until its up to operating temperature.
Never leave an engine to idle, this only glazes the bores and gives a poorer piston ring seal.

As for cooling down, Use the last couple of minutes of driving home or anywhere for that matter to do this.
Drive off boost and you cant go wrong.
Personally think turbo timers are a waste of time, only reason mine is in,is for the gauges.

completely agree, get in, drive carefully while it gets up to operating temps jobs a good'n :)