WARNING! aluminium lug nuts! please read!

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Well basically, i started to hear a sound from the front on my side, then this sound came to a vibration and started getting worst..

today went to jack the car to see what it was, went to undo the wheel nuts, in my case CK engineering and i removed it with my hands, then the other 3 with the socket but with very minimum force..

checked the other wheels and all of them had a bit of lose in them, the first one being the worst thats why it was making a vibration and sound.

i guess its maybe cos they are of aluminium ? anyone had this problem? now i put a very small drop of thread lock to be safe.

please check yours guys..

glanzanut

Lifer
Well basically, i started to hear a sound from the front on my side, then this sound came to a vibration and started getting worst..

today went to jack the car to see what it was, went to undo the wheel nuts, in my case CK engineering and i removed it with my hands, then the other 3 with the socket but with very minimum force..

checked the other wheels and all of them had a bit of lose in them, the first one being the worst thats why it was making a vibration and sound.

i guess its maybe cos they are of aluminium ? anyone had this problem? now i put a very small drop of thread lock to be safe.

please check yours guys..

did you re tighten them after driving a while from when they were first fitted mate?

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
do you do them up to the correct torque or just do them up?

and whats the correct torque? i dont think torque for steel ones will be the same on the aluminium ones? tight enough that it never happened to me until now.

dac69er

Super Moderator
103 nm.

i have aluminium wheel nuts and ive never had a problem with them.

do them up to the correct torque and you will most likely be fine. they have a torque setting for a reason

JonoPhilpott

Member +
you should always try do them up again say after 50 miles or so.

This is what VOSA say about lorries so im guessing its the same scenario.

glanzanut

Lifer
i cant see what difference it makes between steel and aluminium as to whether they slacken.
there is a reason for torque settings, just horsing things up with a brace wont sufice

kellygt

Member +
Most of these nuts come with a warning on the box about this problem they need to tightened up after about 500 km to avoid brown trouser moments...........

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
Most of these nuts come with a warning on the box about this problem they need to tightened up after about 500 km to avoid brown trouser moments...........

i had nothing in my box :/ so they do actually come off slowly?

glanzanut

Lifer
i dunno bud, but mine are oem and i noticed this loud knocking noise coming from the front end one day.
so took the car to my mate who is a mechanic, we inspected the car expecting to find a ball joint or something away.
but actually it was the wheel flapping about because the wheel nuts were all slack.
the last time i had had them off was about six months before when doin the brakes.
and i defo tightened them because i remember doing it, however i only did it with a wheel brace and only did it once.
so imo from now on i always torque them and do it after 50 miles of bein off

kellygt

Member +
i had nothing in my box :/ so they do actually come off slowly?

Yes, I have Ultralite wheel nuts on mine and this has happened to me you just need to keep an eye on it I check mine regularly, I must actually tighten them to the correct torque setting, must look for the box they came in

corofin12345

Member +
also may i had that for people that are running aftermarket disc's, make sure the disc is on the hub right when you put back on the alloy.. if they are not when you go to tighten the nuts they will seem tight untill you take the car for a drive, disc centre's itself and low and behold the nuts are loose

turbo head

Munster Area Rep.
iv ultra light wheel studs an the torque setting is 70nm and had no problems wit them in the last year

dac69er

Super Moderator
so why in 5 years this happend now?

if every time you have been doing them up they have been tight enough then you would have been fine. if the last time you did them up you didnt do them quite tight enough then they will eventually work loose.

the reason for torque settings is to make sure you do tighten things uniformly all the time. just torque them up from now on and you should be fine.

also make sure the taper on the nut is has no crap on it, and the same with the seat on the wheel, that can cause problems sometimes.

accent_97

Member +
same problem with me aluminuim oem nuts that i have , i was in mellieha when happend heared a vibration when pressing the pedal brake and was one of them on the last thread to pop of the wheel was lucky that nothing major happened not really a nice experiance driving on 3 wheels! happened on the front on the passenger side