Warning Presures / Temps.

Rory

Lifer
Good people of TGTT,

Ive just installed a "SPA" Dual read out gauge, Water Temp and Oil Presure.
This gauge can be set with warnings for temp and presure.

What would be classed as a low oil presure, just so i can set warnings, for next weekend?

At idle it sits around 29/30 psi, after a few laps (from last weekend)
This is obviously spirited driving.

Im not to fussed on the water temps, as i try and stay below 95c.

Basiclly, what would everyone set theres at? Just for referance more than anything.

Thanks for your input.

Rory

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Just realised you meant pressure, tuff one as it will vary on cold start, warm starts and if you have things like an oil cooler. I would say 1.0 bar oil pressure when on the move and disregard when idling. You really want to see above 3 bar when on a "spirited" drive.

T

Rory

Lifer
Its the presure im more worried about.

I have an oil cooler to go on, this weekend, with the 80 deg thermostat.
Last weekend, it rand around 50psi on the track, even after a few laps, but this next weekend, will be a bit harder.....

Ill set it for 20psi for low presure light.
The oil presure is fine, but with a trackday next weekend, im watching what goes on.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Yeah that should be okay Rory, all engines will be slightly different as well but when you are at the track you will get the true picture, let us know how you get on :)

T

GTti

Member +
For oil temp set at 140 degrees and water 100 degrees :)

T

Alot of the good oils are shear safe untill 140 degress, so thats a good figure slightly less. As you suggested the water shouldn't be heading above 100 deg.

30psi on hot idle doesn't sound too bad, I think mine is around 2 - 2.5 BAR on hot idle.

Gee

Member +
If this for track?

If going hard, you sure the water temperature needs to stay below 100c?

Toby, I am sure the temps were over 100c on that Best Motoring Video test.

Anyway,

My oil pressure is around 4 bar when driving and 2 bar on idle.

WallaceGlanza

Member +
If this for track?

If going hard, you sure the water temperature needs to stay below 100c?

Toby, I am sure the temps were over 100c on that Best Motoring Video test.

Anyway,

My oil pressure is around 4 bar when driving and 2 bar on idle.

Water boils at 100c so its not really that good at cooling above that, you'll end up blowing the head gasket getting hotter than that.

You sure it was water temp in the vid?

GTti

Member +
Water boils at 100c so its not really that good at cooling above that, you'll end up blowing the head gasket getting hotter than that.

You sure it was water temp in the vid?

Water does, but water with coolant increases the boiling point to approx 120c I think. Under pressure even more.

But pure water is a better conductor of heat than water and coolant.

Gee

Member +
Water does, but water with coolant increases the boiling point to approx 120c I think. Under pressure even more.

Just checked the video..

They had a limit set on the water temp of 110c as a safety margin. So, it is probabaly around 120c and they set a warning to let off around 110c, which is obviously close to 120c haha.

Thats true about the water..maybe run pure water on track and fill back with coolant after the session..just make sure it does not get to 100c! Or put some water wetter in with it, which is even better.

And for the reference, the oil temperature warning was set at 140c :)

Last edited:

350ep70gr

Member +

X2 water boils to 100c at the sea level pressure. In the radiator we have at least 1.1 to 1.3 bar pressure so boiling point will rise a bit and if coolant is added will rise more!

WallaceGlanza

Member +

True, I wasn't sure what difference the coolant makes to the boiling point, but the point about the pressure is correct. With a standard 1.1 bar rad cap the boiling point of pure water would be 103c and at with a 1.3 bar cap it would rise to almost 110c before boiling.

So depends on the coolant being used and pressure in the system, I'd still prefer to keep it under 100c just to play safe though.