wat spark plugs are recommended for the following mods .

boostup

Member +
1 bar boost
sps manifold
decat pipe
front mount intercooler
jam ecu
hks acutator

im not sure wat heat range i need and also wers the best and cheapest place to get them from lol cheers.

Paul147

Member +
Yup as above heat range 7, you should try a few of the traders on here, im near sure thats were I got mine

sx_turbo

Lifer
as the other said heat range 7 mate.

there are 2 options you can use,

the cheap copper plugs bcpr7es,

or iridium which are bkr7eix

sx_turbo

Lifer
Are copper plugs better but don't last as long as Iridiums?

no, that is a misconception made by ill advised people.

iridiums are better but are a lot more expensive, if the iridium plug gets blon out u need a colder heat range plug, the colder the plug the more recessed into the plug the electodes are and the less chance of the spark being blown out.

the copper plugs are just a cheap alternative, you can buy almost 10 sets of copper plugs to the price of 1 set of iridium plugs, but the iridium plugs generally last about 20-30k miles even on tuned engines, (not that long on a raced car though)

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
no, that is a misconception made by ill advised people.

iridiums are better but are a lot more expensive, if the iridium plug gets blon out u need a colder heat range plug, the colder the plug the more recessed into the plug the electodes are and the less chance of the spark being blown out.

the copper plugs are just a cheap alternative, you can buy almost 10 sets of copper plugs to the price of 1 set of iridium plugs, but the iridium plugs generally last about 20-30k miles even on tuned engines, (not that long on a raced car though)

Sorry to hijack the thread but maybe the info will help the original poster.

What sort of problems are encountered when selecting a colder plug that is too cold? Cause I'm assuming there has to be problems or we'd all be on 10s or something :)

sx_turbo

Lifer
if you choose to cold a plug, the plug will not be able to self clean, and become useless very quickly and can also cause misfires,

edit: if the heatrange is to hot, it will cause pre ignition, and the tip of the plug can melt and get stuck on your piston, and also it could cause you to put a hole on the piston or melt the piston

Last edited: