Wat the hell??!!

keya

Member +
Rite, had a bit of an accident last week and dropped a valve into cylinder 1, it dammaged the head and no.1 piston wich today i have replaced. i started the car after building it up to find that all the cylinders are miss fireing. did a compression test on all cylinders and 1-3 came up with 10-11 bar whereas 4 was 4.5 bar. i then did a cyilinder leak test on no.4 and found the air from the test was leaking out of the inlet mani with intake valves on no.4 in closed position. i took the inlet cam out and the leak stopped! after all this i decided that the shims out of my head must be too thick for this 1 and the valves are staying slightly open when they shouldnt be, i mesured all the shims and swapped sum about, re installed the cams then when ive put the timing belt on to re-check it the engine does bwt half a turn then locks, tryed redoing it and it did the same.!! im in over my head now and hve no idea how to proggress can any1 help shes bin off the road for nearly a week and i cnt get about anywere!??

keya

Member +
there geared arnt they, i lined the marks on the back of the gears were they mesh and tightened them down, and then lined the 4e hole on the pulley up with the corresponding mark, set n0.1 at tdc then installed the belt, ive done it this way before and it was fine

Aidan-G

Member +
im not to sure then,maybe somethings else has gone?

when you say have a turn?does it try to fire?or could your battery be goosed from lying up?

keya

Member +
im not to sure then,maybe somethings else has gone?

when you say have a turn?does it try to fire?or could your battery be goosed from lying up?

sorry i ment half a turn, it did untill i stripped it back down n now it wont turn over by hand

Aidan-G

Member +
well your problem has to be in the head then so,id check all your clearances and put it back together,you prob didnt need to change any shims around atal

keya

Member +
its like the ones on no.4 are too big and are keepin the valves open so i swapped some from the exhaust which were abit smaller than all the other exhaust 1s if you know wat i mean, do you know wat the clearences are?

bens ep-82

Member +
if it turns over 180 degrees then locks, you must be getting piston/valve contact. are you sure the timing isnt 180 degrees out?

keya

Member +
i dunno i guess it could be, i wa gettin fucked off wi it n jus wanted to leave spent like 11 hours on it today, propa fed up with it now, had to resist hitting it with something earlier lol, ill have to have a re-check tomorow

keya

Member +
timing was spot on i tripple checked it cos i think thats wat caused the valve to drop, its gt to be those shims surely, wen the cam lobe is up and the valves should be shut theres no clearence between the cam and shim, even if its slightly open it wud affect compression alot wud it not? where can i find the valve clearences?