Water Inection

J25GTi

Lifer
Did a search but didnt find any information,

What water injection kit would you guys recomend? Am looking at one right now "Devils" are they any good? Seem to have a good range of specs

J25GTi

Lifer
Well, For the set up im going to be running i will need to be running water injection, as det will kill a std engine :p

So they seem like good kits?

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Depends what sort of kit you want. For maximum efficiency you will want a mappable system.

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
They look like a good system, been tempted to fit one to fire with the nitrous, if I do go that route I'll be using something larger than a 50shot!

J25GTi

Lifer
Yeah, I know a mappable one would be best, but they are nigh on 700quid, but the one I'm looking at is 350 and comes with a controller that enables you to run it off any o-5v signal, I.e map sensor knock sensor etc etc

Or you can run it off a pressure sensor, which I imagine would be more than enough to run it safely?

What do you think?

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

if you want a proper system...then try aquamist....

people seem to rave about it....so i guess it must be pretty good

and remember,,,you tend to get what you pay for

if you are going to use WI, you might as well get a reputable kit....remember, its your engine you are playing with,,,,,too much water/meth and too little water/meth can both be a disaster

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
You use the water for knock resistance as water has infinate octane. The meth is used as both an anti freeze and to cool the intake charge.

J25GTi

Lifer
well, seeing as im going for a standard engine, i would just run the water. a T25/28 should be more than enough i think!

Also, would anyone recomend getting the additional nozzle for before the turbo as im told it gets the spool time down a bit?

weeJohn

Lifer
Methanol has a much higher latent heat when burning, which means it burns cooler than petrol does so it lowers combustion temperatures as well as increasing combustion strength.

Water cools the combustion temp by reducing the speed of the burn, giving a longer (better) burn, but not as powerful as meth.

Water injection has been being used in planes since the 1940`s, if it was such a good thing, it would be used more in todays engines, dont you think?

Methanol is very dangerous, its very poisonous, hard to store and extremely combustive so its not for everyday motoring use.

azerty

Supermoderator
50/50 water/meth is the way to go.

water is here to cool down combustion temp
Methanol is here to get higher octane value, so you'll be able to add timing or/and add boost as this mixture will be much more resistant to knocks.

also 50/50 water meth is NOT combustive (while 100% meth is freaking dangerous as weejohn just said)

Aquamist is the way to go if you are serious about it...

GP82

Member +
I found out that water injection will come into its own when pushing the limits of you turbo past it’s effiency range or do not have access to good fuel or tryin’ to run high comp engine with high boost.

Even the high octane rating’s on a fuel does not change the burn rate of the fuel and that is not where you gain. Higher octane rating is jus’ a measurement of the fuel resistance to detonate and has greater stability at high pressures and temps.

The power increase comes from the structure of the fuel mix, low octane fuel mix fuel has hydrocarbons that will not vaporize until 400 degree, where as race gas/high octane fuel might start vaporizing at say 275 degrees. In street application that see’s low rpm, the low octane gas has plenty of time to heat vaporize and burn, but in our ‘race’ engine’s lol, there might not be enough time for the low octane fuel to vaporize at 7200rpm. The engine cannot take full advantage of the fuel’s available energy at high rpm. High octane fuel will vaporize more quickly at lower temps, so it’s poss to burn more fuel in high rpm band = more power. This is also dependant on the comp ratio of the engine. You see water injection being used where there only low octane fuel available at the pumps or pushing serious boost through mid size turbo's.

munday

Member +
Water injection has been being used in planes since the 1940`s, if it was such a good thing, it would be used more in todays engines, dont you think?

Dont agree with this comment, if it didnt work then why would they have used it in planes in the first place? The first ever production turbo car came with water and alcohol injection.

The reason car manufacturers dont use it would be because it needs topping up, which the average motorist would probably forget to do, meaning potentially dangerous conditions in the engine.

Water and alcohol injection works perfectly for the purpose it was designed