Water/methonol injection

fur

Member +
anyone on here running water injection with or without methonol?

i ran it on my last setup and i'm running it currently on my stock 5efe with a greddy t517z turbo. anyone has any experience with water/meth as it is a topic i haven't seen touched on this site

Phil

Super Moderator
is water meth controlled by a specific controller or is under the reins of a standalone ecu?

and can it just be run on water to save refill costs?

Phil

RobSR

Member +
dont think many people on here have it..if any! its very big on supra's tho, alot of owners use it...

I think its just with noramally water, and even so it doesnt last that long, its normally used when pushing more boost in race situations, not really on the road i believe. .

AEM and aquamist make good kits :)

fur

Member +
the 2 gallon bottle in my car lasts at least a month, engaging at anything above 8 psi
it is controlled by my standalone but most kits have separate controllers that can work on their own without management
u use distilled/battery water or u can mix it with methonol to raise the effective fuel octane rating

Phil

Super Moderator
what ecu fur?

once a month sounds ok, if you use the meth what does it do better than the water? just more power>? does water on its own allow you to keep temps down enough to run alot more boost without suffering knocking?

Phil

munday

Member +
Water on it's own is best to supress knock, but will probably very slightly reduce power, however it should allow you to run more boost or ign advance. With water injection peak cylinder pressures occur later in the cycle (seen tests where it's about 20 degrees later) so ign timing should be advanced.

Water and methanol will not supress knock so well (if at all) but can help torque because alcohol burns slower than petrol so can increase cylinder pressures as the piston is on it's downward stroke. Either of these systems act to increase the effective octane rating of the fuel

Fur are you running an off he shelf system or a self made one? I've been thinking of making up a kit for a while now.

Do you have the nozzle before the airfilter, before the compressor, after the compressor or after the intercooler? Have you noticed any results from using it?

Last edited:

munday

Member +
someone explains how it works and any pics fur??

basically you have a water tank, high pressure pump, an atomizing nozzle and a way of triggering it. Either using boost pressure or a microswitch on the throttle pedal. Usually best to have it active under high load and not just boost, but it depends what you want the system for and it can be hard to do.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
basically you have a water tank, high pressure pump, an atomizing nozzle and a way of triggering it. Either using boost pressure or a microswitch on the throttle pedal. Usually best to have it active under high load and not just boost, but it depends what you want the system for and it can be hard to do.

ok. but where is the water sprayed?

fur

Member +
sheldon the water mist is sprayed into the throttle body
on my system it is on the IC pipe immediately before the throttle body

phil my car is currently running megasquirt 2 v3 standalone with good results

munday i use a 50 50 mix of water and meth, water for cooling and the meth for an octane boost, currently i am noticing almost 12degC decrease in air intake temperatures on 1 bar of boost on a DEAD STOCK 5efe. i have not advance ignition timing as yet so not really using the system to potential

azerty

Supermoderator
I have studied this a lot on scoobie forums. there are quite few kits and system available. I haven't seen much users in here. I remember a member from Miami with a 4efte tercel who was using it quite a while ago.

50/50 water/meth is the most popular choice to cool down and gain octane at same time
multiport with nozzle on each intake manifoil entry beeing the most performant when used with an ECU that can map nozzles. most users would place one or two nozzles just before throttle body (on the IC piping)
Aquamist does best kit IMO, but there are quite few other nice alternatives like coolingmist or labonte
One good news for starlet users is the aquamist racepump has a maximum flow range so some bigger engine cannot use them. luckily, the aquamist racepump flow range is good enough for our small 1300cc :)

one of the main thing to think about when using WI is failsafe side of things

Aquamist HFS-5 is a lovelykit that will be replaced with a new HFS-6 version very soon.
That would be quite long to explain all its features. I have a PFC on the scooby and think it is a great unit to use on the side on 2 litre or more turboed engines.

perrin which is wellknow in scooby world was doing a lovely kit that could have been ideal for our small engines, but I beleive they've just stoped production :(

141_large.jpg

that kit was incuding the aquamist racepump with progressive controller, dash display and failsafe.

Last edited:

munday

Member +
The only thing I would say about that wikipedia article is that methanol is more prone to detonation than fuel, but with the water that does not matter. Oh and the use of a small bit of oil in the system is not neccecarry with a pump specifically designed to pump water (and it would serve to negate some of the benefits of the increased effective octane level)

Fur are you running an aquamist system or a self made one? Good to see you are running megasquirt too! Would love to get one to build up and wire into the Glanza.

Phil

Super Moderator
is aquamist kits includ a controller or do they need to work in conjunction with a standalone ecu? like megasquirt motec etc etc?

Phil

munday

Member +
I believe the aquamist has it's own controller, I think I might try and build my own system.

One potential problem is with too much water you can wash the oil off the bore. And the oil can also become contaminated with water if you don't have a period where the water injection is stopped and the oil is allowed to boil off the water.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
hmm never looked into this.... 12 deg is very good i think fur!!

i would be worried if the setup will fail and will remain switched on :S maybe im too paranoid!

fur

Member +
i use a high speed solenoid to pulse the water like an injector
aquamist kits don't require connecting to the engine management to work

munday, water in the oil is far from an issue, it is only engaged at proper boost and is evaporated in combustion almost immediately, plus it is setup using a fine nozzle so it is literally a mist of water

when i tested my system outside of the car the water looked more like smoke than anything else, that is how fine the nozzle was, ideally a high pressure low volume system works best

munday

Member +
yeah I never really considered the oil contamination a problem until I read an article by a very senior automotive engineer. I suppose it would only really be a problem if the spray was continuous.

If I make my own kit I'll use a spray systems nozzle, as they supposedly make the best atomizing jets and also incorperate a check valve to prevent dripping.

Sheldon you can have the nozzle set in front of the air filter, that way if any problem occurs you don't flood the engine with water, also when demand for air is low, less water is taken in, increasing with engine load. The filter will also filter any water droplets too large.

Couple of problems with this being that larger water droets if not atomized correctly can damage the turbo blades (serrating the edges and causing pitting) and also it reduces the efficiency of the intercooler because it reduces the temperature differential between the compressed air and the atmosphere.

Personally I think I'll try furs position just before the tb.