water pump quiery...

Mikeygtt

Member +
Hi,

I recently bought a water pump and gasket. The water pump was needed to stop a coolant leak, but this hasn't completely solved the problem. Although the pump was leaking, the main leak is coming from behind the pump. Someone had tried to seal it up previously, but it just pours out.

Would you be able to get the part needed seperate from a complete assembly or would i need a whole new assembly including pump?

Thanks a lot

Michael

dac69er

Super Moderator
there is an O ring that goes into the blcok that will often leak if disturbed. could well be that!

Ted

Member +
if you mean where the pump bolts onto the block then could be some crap left on the block from previous attempts to seal it up.

Jay

Admin
Also the metal pipe leading to the waterpump can corrode resulting in leaks. Get her up on a ramp and see if you can pinpoint it a bit further mate.

Jay

Mikeygtt

Member +
thanks guys,

its not where the pump bolts to the block, that part is fine now.

i crawled under the car to find that indeed it was leaking next to where the pipe come into the assembly. Its looks like a solid pipe going into a larger solid pipe. where they go together is where there is a section of black sealer and the leak!

Cheers guys

Mikey

Mikeygtt

Member +
Hi,

Thanks,

Is it a difficult job, or a diy job? i can get access to a ramp at work, as i expect access crawling under the car would be tricky!

Cheers for your help guys

Mikey