Ways to reduce turbo lag ?

ian

Member +
What things can be done to reduce turbo lag and help spool times on larger turbos ?

bullet

Member +
make sure uve got exhaust leaks before turbo. Make sure wastegate and or dump valve arent leaking. Can also try shortening intercooler piping. I found fittin the air filter in ther front bumper helped slightly aswell

madman

Member +
on a serious note... the shortest route possible for the fmic piping a ported and polished head will do wonders along with a good boost controller.

Dane_Bristol

Member +
What things can be done to reduce turbo lag and help spool times on larger turbos ?

Its an expensive route but thermal ceramic coating the exhaust housing on the turbo, coating the manifold. The faster you can get those exhaust gases out of the engine the better the turbo will perform within reason.

Heat wrap is the cheaper and a very effective way of aiding it. You can buy the thermal jackets for the Turbo housings which will also help.

durmz

Member +
Its an expensive route but thermal ceramic coating the exhaust housing on the turbo, coating the manifold. The faster you can get those exhaust gases out of the engine the better the turbo will perform within reason.

Heat wrap is the cheaper and a very effective way of aiding it. You can buy the thermal jackets for the Turbo housings which will also help.

kinda the route ive been headed down lately...
im sure it wont make 'as much' difference on a ct9? but maybe some.

durmz

Member +
How much roughly is the ceramic coating ?

What does fitting uprated cams do ?

ceramic coating is a bomb man, zircotec looks like a top place to get it done, but hefty prices. i may be wrong but think its like 300 pound for a manifold

Dan3SGTE

Member +
How much roughly is the ceramic coating ?

What does fitting uprated cams do ?

Depending on which ones, but ones that are normally fitted will be a more aggressive set of cam shafts. It will shift your power band higher up in the rev range. You will loose the lower end response normally over OEM cams... Will suit larger turbo set ups where you need to rev higher and make use of the bigger turbo so you have more revs to play with "on boost"

ian

Member +
Its for a forged 5e running a blitz k3 kit.

Any more ways to help spool time ?

What cams would be best suited to the above setup ?

1bar

Member +
Use a smaller turbo? That why its important to choose a turbo for your application rather then bolting on some kit...i had a bigger turbo thinking it will be faster with lag then got a ballbearing vf23 which spools up just before 3.5k and chop my track time by 3 seconds.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
been covered many times. good boost controller with gain feature is one good way to get faster spoolups

lleey2k4

Member +
Use a smaller turbo? That why its important to choose a turbo for your application rather then bolting on some kit...i had a bigger turbo thinking it will be faster with lag then got a ballbearing vf23 which spools up just before 3.5k and chop my track time by 3 seconds.

Is that on 4e or 5e??