Weight difference 4eturbo vs 5e turbo

Rev

Member +
Been thinking of going for more power with a 5e but would like to know how much extra weight will this be has anyone checked this?

Guye

Lifer
Been thinking of going for more power with a 5e but would like to know how much extra weight will this be has anyone checked this?

A friend with a Glanza weighed in at just over 1000kg after the 5e swap...1010kg I think it was. Full tank of gas, fluids topped up, ac fitted.

Rev

Member +
Thanks Guye that's brilliant only 10kg.

@ omikron I was considering td0413g vs 5e option.
for hotter climate say 25C average. I estimate 4e to 5e will be about 25 extra HP with my K1 current setup and 4e tdo413g about 34hp due to better efficiency.

The tdo4 doesn't seem much better below 4450rpm than my current so I am giving the 5e a closer look as It will be better below and above 4450rpm.

Jay

Admin
Very little difference in engine weight TBH. I'd doubt if you would notice it when up and rolling.

Jay

dac69er

Super Moderator
if you were that bothered about weight, go for a good dump, cut your hair, cut your nails and drive the car naked. that should save you 1kg ;)

Rev

Member +
Your not wrong 5e sounds great but I have some wheels on order that will save me 22.95 KG and my plastic Bonnet has cut about 10kg from my overweight auto Sera. I have to watch my weight all the time not like you skinny EPs.

@ dac69er I have had 2 flat tyres last month & drove more than 30km on 3 wheels , not carrying a spare has saved me up to 18.1kg :)
@ turbomini I think the fact I dont have a wash bottle covers that , driving under a glass roof means you can't skimp on fluids too much.

Last edited:

omikron

Member +
ok bud, what is the objective, just more power (or more power per pound of boost) , better throttle response or just lowest rpm to positive in the intake manifold?

Rev

Member +
Nice question Omikon,

I used to think more power to get more torque on hot days.

Now I realise as you suggest more power per psi of boost is best for hot conditions.
eg. I still cant get my head round why my 3600 boost spike isn't giving more power and how I should tune it.

I think heavy wheels make for a slow response as I am usually 2 lengths behind for a short while but after that they seem to make the car go faster as they store torque.

In regards to the off boost part you mention. I notice some autos peak boost around 3200 rpm ( ct9b ) while my setup ( K1 ) is at 3600 rpm. Getting the torque 400rpm earlier would be a good difference especially torque 2000-2500 to get things going.
That why I thought lighter wheels would help.

Also from what I read head work on 4e will be worse for torque at low revs despite this some dynos show well over 100ft lb torque at 2000rpm that would be nice so the other thought was 5e which shows higher torque at 2000rpms.

Last edited:

omikron

Member +
ah the auto complicates things cause now u also have to factor in how the autobox responds. im surprised at the high rpm u et full boost though, mine is all in @ around 2500 rpm probably even lower. u alos have to factor when going 5e backpressure and reversion, esp with a small turbine (and turbine housing)

Rev

Member +
My mistake when I say full boost I meant 18psi at 3600 normally 5psi at 2500 ish and 10 psi at 3000. TBH in cooler conditions the car pulls noticably well at 5psi. So what psi are you showing at 2000 and 2500?
Interesting points you make about the 5e, my exhaust housing is just stock with a clipped ct9a wheel to relieve some pressure.
Re auto box lock point that is also a worth more consideration. Unfortunately I think this may be much later with lighter wheels load unless it is just set by ecu or open loop?

I have done some more research and narrowed things down a bit, looking at two 4e auto ct9b dynos one best lean showing same as me 0 psi at 2000rpm it has 13psi at 2500 rpm another rich showing 11.2psi at 2700 rpm vs my 5psi at 2500 that seems to be the performance difference that needs addressing.

Last edited: