weird problem

tip

Member +
hey all, my brother bought a turbo kit for his AWD starlet with stok ECU and no FCD and the guy who installed it set the AFPR at 80Psi so my brother went to a friend who has a wideband to set the AFR but his friend also cranked up the boost with a manual boost controller so the first time he did it the car went into fuelcut(that means high boost right?) so his friend goes under the hot to lower the boost and the second time he pulled the car the engine blew up without the car going into fuel cut..., can anyone explain how? cause if the boost was high the car would have turned of because of the fuel cut.

damage on the engine: the block is torn, the headgasket is blown(have to look if the head cracked),and the no1 pistons is cracked...

thanks tip

Texx

Super Moderator
Fuel isn't cut instantly, it takes a second or so of overboost before the ECU steps in, plenty of time for engine damage to occur.

Rob H

Member +
was it a stock turbo ECU or N/A ECU and was it a turbo engine? the N/A engine will not like boost and the N/A ecu will not have fuel cut the map sensor can not read boost!

tip

Member +
yes i think that happened, cause the block is cracked....
i'll put in some pics later i think

tip

Member +
was it a stock turbo ECU or N/A ECU and was it a turbo engine? the N/A engine will not like boost and the N/A ecu will not have fuel cut the map sensor can not read boost!

no it was not stock turbo, the car has EP82 wiring loom and ECU in it, and it was a glanza turbo engine...

tip

Member +
so my brothers going to forge another 4efte motor but he's not sure which pistons to buy...
the wiseco pistons are the dish type and the CP pistons don't have the dish...
can anyone explain what the difference is? and are scat rods good to buy?

thanks