wet cast

well i broke my hand last weekend and the hospital put a large cast covering up half of my arm also!
problem is i got it soaking wet!
and they told me to be careful not to get it wet lol!

do casts need replaced whenever they get wet or what do i need to do! tried drying it out all day but its still damp!

sx_turbo

Lifer
i think its cos it makes the skin rot and go mouldy or something, as it takes days to dry out.

go see your gp, or the hospital and seek there advice, or phone the nhs helpline first to save a wasted trip

Beaker

Member +
If i were you I would get it checked. It moght have weakened or bent which would mean your hand would set incorrectly ie bent and then it would have to be rebroken and reset. Trust me, it happpened to my leg! had to have it taken out of plaster after a week and get it rebroken and have pins put in.
So, get it checked!!!
You can get fibreglass casts that are lightweight and waterproof, ask for one of those.

Guye

Lifer
I never had a cast, but I wouldn't take the chance after reading some of these replies :D Best to get it checked out.

Trevor

Member +
Fibreglass

I always insist on getting a fibreglass cast.If they say no then just tell them you will be back looking a new cast every few days as the plaster cast won't stand much abuse.Works every time.
If i were you I would get it checked. It moght have weakened or bent which would mean your hand would set incorrectly ie bent and then it would have to be rebroken and reset. Trust me, it happpened to my leg! had to have it taken out of plaster after a week and get it rebroken and have pins put in.
So, get it checked!!!
You can get fibreglass casts that are lightweight and waterproof, ask for one of those.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
I always insist on getting a fibreglass cast.If they say no then just tell them you will be back looking a new cast every few days as the plaster cast won't stand much abuse.Works every time.

Are you some kind of seasoned bone breaker then Trevor?